Quick help finishing off a proof: extension of p-adic fields

In summary, the conversation is discussing the ramification indices of extensions of p-adic fields and how they relate to each other. The goal is to show that the ramification index of the composite extension L_1 L_2/K is the product of the ramification indices of L_1/K and L_2/K. The conversation mentions using the fact that one of the extensions is Galois, but it is not clear how this is relevant. The conversation ends with a question about how to show that one of the ramification indices is greater than or equal to the other.
simba31415

Homework Statement

Let [itex]L_1/K,\,L_2/K[/itex] be extensions of p-adic fields, at least one of which is Galois, with ramification indices [itex]e_1,\,e_2 [/itex]. Suppose that [itex](e_1,\,e_2) = 1 [/itex]. Show that [itex]L_1 L_2/K [/itex] has ramification index [itex]e_1 e_2[/itex].

Homework Equations

I have most of the proof done: I'm trying to show [itex]e_1 e_2 | e [/itex] where [itex] e[/itex] is the ramification index of [itex]L_1 L_2/K [/itex], and then show [itex]e | e_1 e_2 [/itex]. It's easy enough to show that [itex]e_1 e_2 | e [/itex]: if we define [itex]e_1 ' [/itex] to be the ramification index between [itex]L_2, \, L_1 L_2 [/itex] and likewise [itex]e_2 ' [/itex] between [itex]L_1, \, L_1 L_2 [/itex], then [itex]e = e_1 e_2' = e_2 e_1' [/itex] by multiplicative property of ramification indices. So both [itex]e_1,\,e_2 [/itex] divide [itex]e [/itex] and are coprime so [itex]e_1 e_2 | e [/itex].

All I need now is to show that [itex]e_1' | e_1 [/itex], then [itex]e_1' e_2 = e | e_1 e_2[/itex] (or alternatively to show [itex]e_2' | e_2 [/itex]). However, I can't seem to manage this: indeed quite the opposite, I keep deducing [itex]e_1 | e_1' [/itex] and [itex]e_2 | e_2' [/itex] by using the 2 forms of [itex]e [/itex] and coprimality. I also, as far as I know, haven't used the fact one of the extensions is Galois (or that they are of p-adic fields) yet, unless I have forgotten a precondition for one of the results I've used. Could anyone help complete my proof? Thanks! -S

Physics news on Phys.org
I would try to show that [itex]e\leq e_1e_2[/itex]. If L_1/K is Galois, what kind of inequality does that impose on e_1?

morphism said:
I would try to show that [itex]e\leq e_1e_2[/itex]. If L_1/K is Galois, what kind of inequality does that impose on e_1?

Hi morphism, sorry it took me so long to reply - I didn't see anyone had responded to me. I've been having a think, but I can't think of any obvious inequalities which we can deduce for e_1: presumably we want [itex]e_1 \geq [/itex] something for this. I know all the ramification indices for any prime splitting downstairs must be the same in this case, but I don't think that helps us here.

So it would suffice to show that [itex]e_1 \geq e_1'[/itex], but while I could believe it I don't know if I could prove it. Do you think you could give me another hint perhaps? Sorry, it's probably something very obvious I'm overlooking!

1. What is a p-adic field?

A p-adic field is a type of field in mathematics that is used in number theory and algebraic geometry. It is an extension of the field of rational numbers, and is denoted by Qp. The elements of a p-adic field are expressed in terms of p-adic digits, similar to how numbers are expressed in base 10 with decimal digits.

2. What is the significance of extending p-adic fields?

Extending p-adic fields allows for a wider range of calculations and analysis in number theory and algebraic geometry. It also provides a more complete understanding of the properties and behavior of p-adic numbers.

3. How is a proof for the extension of p-adic fields typically approached?

A proof for the extension of p-adic fields typically involves using the concept of Hensel's lemma, which states that solutions to a polynomial equation in a p-adic field can be found if solutions exist in a smaller p-adic field. By using this lemma and other algebraic techniques, a proof can be constructed to show the extension of p-adic fields.

4. What practical applications does the extension of p-adic fields have?

The extension of p-adic fields has various practical applications in mathematics, particularly in number theory and algebraic geometry. It is used in cryptography, coding theory, and other fields that involve calculations with large numbers. It also has connections to physics and has been used in the study of string theory and quantum mechanics.

5. Are there any limitations to the extension of p-adic fields?

While the extension of p-adic fields has many useful applications, it also has some limitations. For example, it does not have a complete ordering like the real numbers, which can make certain calculations more difficult. Additionally, the extension can only be applied to certain types of fields, such as finite fields and algebraic number fields.