1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick number theory clarification before exam

1. Mar 11, 2014 #1
    Okay if a/b then doesn't a/nb for any integer n?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2014 #2
    Well maybe any non zero integer n; but maybe that would make the theorem kind of useless in proofs?

4. Mar 11, 2014 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you mean a|b (i.e. a divides b) then sure, a|nb for any integer n. How would you prove that? What does '|' mean?

5. Mar 11, 2014 #4
    Are you asking me to prove that?

6. Mar 11, 2014 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm mostly asking if you understand what it means. If you do, then showing a|b implies a|nb shouldn't be difficult.

7. Mar 11, 2014 #6
    ac=b

then

ac=b+b+b....+bn

but if you broke it up into cases a goes into b clean so repeatedly you are adding integers so bn must
    be an Z thus we have ac=b

I am not good at proofs, having very hard time; never did or saw them before this class, no intro to
    proof class. I might get a bad grade on my exam.

8. Mar 11, 2014 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Maybe. That's not at all clear. Try this. The definition of a|b is that b=ka for some integer k. Now can you show that if a|b then a|nb? Try that to practice at proofs.

9. Mar 11, 2014 #8
    I give man, can't figure it out.

10. Mar 11, 2014 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You give up pretty easily. If a|b then b=k*a for some integer k by the definition of '|'. Then nb=n(ka). Why? So nb=n(ka)=(nk)a. To show a|nb you want to find an integer j such that nb=ja. What's good choice for j? Just read that through a few times.

11. Mar 11, 2014 #10
    ak=ak+ak+ak which would result in 1+1+1 which is an int. so concluded?

12. Mar 11, 2014 #11
    Sorry to be negative but this kind of math is beyond frustrating to me. It is like opposite of what I am used to.

13. Mar 11, 2014 #12
    I don't see myself being really creative, maybe this math is not for me.

14. Mar 11, 2014 #13

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's meaningless, sorry.

15. Mar 11, 2014 #14
    I don't like puzzles either.

16. Mar 11, 2014 #15

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You seem to be more interested in expressing your frustration with the course than in listening to advice. Which is ok, but I don't see how I can help with that.

17. Mar 11, 2014 #16
    That is because I like math a lot just got an A in calc three and I sit for hours with this stuff and have yet to solve ONE proof by myself.

18. Mar 11, 2014 #17
    It is like crazy thinking and time with these problems. Yet I still I am unable to solve a problem. Also I have no idea where to go with your proof. I appreciate you trying, I just give don't know the answer.

19. Mar 11, 2014 #18
    Okay nb = n(ka)

ak= a(nk)

a is a number times nk a number so proved?

20. Mar 11, 2014 #19

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Congrats on calc 3! But so far you haven't listened to a single thing I've said. I thought you wanted help, not a forum to express how negative you are about the course. I can't help with that.

21. Mar 11, 2014 #20
    Look at my last comment, pretty sure it is proved.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted