Quick question about equilibrium points

In summary, the total energy in simple harmonic motion is equal to 1/2 KA^2, where A is the amplitude of the displacement function. At the equilibrium point, kinetic energy (K) is equal to 0 and potential energy (U) is also equal to 0. However, at other points in the motion, K and U may not be equal due to the initial conditions of the system. The signs of K and U depend on the direction of motion and displacement.
auk411

Homework Statement

In simple harmonic motion (especially with a spring), does the kinetic energy equal the potential energy at the equilibrium point? In other words, does K = U?

If not, is there a time when the kinetic energy does equal potential energy in simple harmonic motion.

Homework Equations

Total energy = K + U = 1/2 KA^2, where A is the amplitude of the displacement function.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure, K=0, and there is no displacement so there is no potential energy.

You could also do the other bit you propose, but you would need to assign some initial conditions such as initial position and initial velocity.

Mindscrape said:
Sure, K=0, and there is no displacement so there is no potential energy.

You could also do the other bit you propose, but you would need to assign some initial conditions such as initial position and initial velocity.

I'm not sure what parts you are referring to. Also, I'm thinking about a general solution. Your first comment just seems to apply when, essentially, nothing has happened. For example, before I pull a block back attached to a spring and it is just sitting there at the spring's natural length, then k =0. After pulling it back to distance D, and letting it go, it then will cross over the equilibrium point again. But the velocity will not be 0, and hence k cannot be 0.

At the bottom of this, I get the basic concept, what is really tripping me up are knowing what signs to attach to K and U. (E.g., why doesn't k = - U at Equilibrium point?)

1. What is an equilibrium point?

An equilibrium point is a state in a system where the forces, factors or variables acting on the system are in balance, resulting in no overall change or movement in the system.

2. How is an equilibrium point determined?

An equilibrium point can be determined by setting the rate of change of the system to zero and solving for the value(s) of the variables that satisfy this condition.

3. What is the significance of an equilibrium point?

An equilibrium point is important because it represents a stable state where the system is balanced and there is no tendency for it to change or move unless an external force or factor is introduced.

4. Can an equilibrium point change over time?

Yes, an equilibrium point can change over time if there are changes in the forces, factors or variables that are acting on the system. It can also change if the system is affected by external factors.

5. How can an equilibrium point be affected by disturbances?

An equilibrium point can be affected by disturbances if the external forces or factors introduced to the system disrupt the balance that was previously achieved, resulting in a new equilibrium point.