Quick question about matrices & bases?

In summary: So in summary, you were given a 2x2 matrix made from a certain basis, and you split it into two parts, one being the diagonal part and one being the off-diagonal part. You then determined that H0 is still in the basis, and you are wondering how to find out what |x\rangle and |y\rangle actually look like.
jeebs
Say I was given a 2x2 matrix made from a certain basis [tex]{|x\rangle, |y\rangle} [/tex] , and I split that matrix into two parts, one being the diagonal part and one being the off-diagonal part.

for example, if I had [tex] H = H_0 + W = \left(\begin{array}{cc}a&c\\b&d\end{array}\right) = \left(\begin{array}{cc}a&0\\0&d\end{array}\right) + \left(\begin{array}{cc}0&c\\b&0\end{array}\right)[/tex]

Is it true to say that H0 is still in the basis [tex]{|x\rangle, |y\rangle} [/tex], and if it is, is there a way I could determine what [tex]|x\rangle[/tex] and [tex]|y\rangle[/tex] actually look like?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your question is a bit ambiguous. The explicit matrix form that you've written down is in the basis

[tex] |e_1\rangle = \begin{pmatrix} 1 \\ 0 \end{pmatrix}, |e_2\rangle = \begin{pmatrix} 0 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix}.[/tex]

Then

[tex] H = a |e_1\rangle \langle e_1 | + d |e_2\rangle \langle e_2 | + b |e_2\rangle \langle e_1 | + c |e_1\rangle \langle e_2 |.[/tex]

If you want to express this in another basis, you could just rotate [tex]|e_{1,2}\rangle[/tex] into [tex]|x,y\rangle[/tex].

well to be more specific I'm attempting this:

[PLAIN][URL]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g33/long_john_cider/problem.jpg[/PLAIN][/URL]

I've done part one, which involves coming up with a Hamiltonian then splitting it into two parts, an initial part H0 which has the diagonal elements, and a time dependent part W(t) which has the off diagonal elements.

On the second part I need to mess around with that integral for a(t), and to do that I must need to know what [tex]|\uparrow \rangle , | \downarrow \rangle [/tex] are.

So, I'm wondering how I can find them. I have "constructed the Hamiltonian in the basis [tex]|\uparrow \rangle , | \downarrow \rangle [/tex] " in part one, so now I'm wondering how to find out what this basis actually is...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well [tex]|\uparrow\rangle = | e_1\rangle, |\downarrow\rangle = | e_2\rangle[/tex], but that doesn't quite answer your question. If you wanted to write an expression for a matrix in another basis, you would need a formula that relates the two bases.

(Edit: Maybe it does answer your question)

I'm not sure I understand how you've decided that [tex] |\uparrow\rangle = \left(\begin{array}{c}1&0\end{array}\right) [/tex] and [tex] |\downarrow\rangle = \left(\begin{array}{c}0&1\end{array}\right) [/tex]

jeebs said:
I'm not sure I understand how you've decided that [tex] |\uparrow\rangle = \left(\begin{array}{c}1&0\end{array}\right) [/tex] and [tex] |\downarrow\rangle = \left(\begin{array}{c}0&1\end{array}\right) [/tex]

They're the eigenvectors of [tex]\sigma_z[/tex].

ah, so they are, and I have [tex] H_0 = B_0\sigma_z [/tex].
I might be getting somewhere.
thanks.

What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers, symbols, or expressions arranged in rows and columns. It is often used to represent and manipulate data in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and computer science.

What is a basis?

A basis is a set of linearly independent vectors that span a vector space. It is used to represent and describe the elements of a vector space in a concise and systematic manner.

How do you find the dimensions of a matrix?

The dimensions of a matrix are determined by the number of rows and columns it has. To find the dimensions, simply count the number of rows and columns in the matrix.

What is matrix multiplication?

Matrix multiplication is a mathematical operation that combines two matrices to produce a new matrix. It is defined as the product of the first matrix's rows and the second matrix's columns, and is only possible if the number of columns in the first matrix is equal to the number of rows in the second matrix.

What are some real-world applications of matrices and bases?

Matrices and bases have a wide range of applications in fields such as engineering, economics, and computer graphics. They are used to solve systems of linear equations, model and analyze data, and create 3D images in computer graphics.