1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick question about Ratio Test for Series Convergence

1. Apr 13, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

This is the question I have (from a worksheet that is a practice for a quiz). Its a conceptual question (I guess). I understand how to solve ratio test problems.

"Is this test only sufficient, or is it an exact criterion for convergence?"

2. Relevant equations

Recall the ratio-test: If {an}n∈N is a positive sequence and there is a number a < 1 such that eventually an+1 ≤ a then the series is convergent. If, eventually, an+1 ≥ 1 then the series is divergent.

3. The attempt at a solution

I would assume that it would be considered "only sufficient," since if the result yields a ratio of one, convergence cannot be determined, thus it is not an absolute criterion.

Would this line of reasoning be correct?

Thanks,

Colton

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2015 #2
    that sounds right. it's sufficient but not necessary because there are other ways to determine whether or not a series converges eg ##\sum_{n} \frac{1}{n^{2}}## is known to converge but the ratio test doesn't give any information about it.

4. Apr 13, 2015 #3
    Sounds good, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted