Quick question about resolving force

• Thread starter kougou
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the person is asking for help with resolving force into its y-components. They attempted to use geometry and trigonometry, but their solution was incorrect. They are seeking clarification on where they went wrong and how to correctly calculate the y-component of the force using trigonometry. It is important to remember that the components of a force cannot have a magnitude greater than the original force and must form a closed triangle of forces when added together.
kougou
[URgent!] quick question about resolving force

Homework Statement

Hello guys...

I have trouble resolving force into its y- components. Dont laugh. Please have a look on the photo I attached. The force is perpendicular to the slop, and the angle of the slope is given there. And then, what I did is just dot(extend the force), and then use sin(angle) to resolve the force into its component. Of course this is not right, so, why this is wrong. why?

Homework Equations

http://img860.imageshack.us/img860/513/xisu.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

You are incorrectly calculating the force components...the force acts at what angle to the horizontal? (Use geometry). Then find the y component of the force using trig.

no, why is this incorrect? where did I mess up?

PhanthomJay said:
You are incorrectly calculating the force components...the force acts at what angle to the horizontal? (Use geometry). Then find the y component of the force using trig.

where did i mess up? horizontal is 36 degree, and cos 36 will give x, and sin 36 will give y. but why this is not right?

kougou said:

Homework Statement

Hello guys...

I have trouble resolving force into its y- components. Dont laugh. Please have a look on the photo I attached. The force is perpendicular to the slop, and the angle of the slope is given there. And then, what I did is just dot(extend the force), and then use sin(angle) to resolve the force into its component. Of course this is not right, so, why this is wrong. why?

Homework Equations

http://img860.imageshack.us/img860/513/xisu.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

The Attempt at a Solution

kougou said:
where did i mess up? horizontal is 36 degree, and cos 36 will give x, and sin 36 will give y. but why this is not right?

The last quote is pretty close to the answer. Now you just have to put an x-y coordinate system on the drawing (like with +x pointing right and +y pointing up), and give the x and y components of that vector in (x,y) coordinates.

Last edited by a moderator:

When you resolve a force into its components, none of the components can have a magnitude greater than the force itself.

If you always bear this in mind, then you will correctly sketch the triangle for resolution of forces without confusion.

The components must add together vectorially to equal the force.

They must form a closed triangle of forces: horiz comp + vert comp = force

What is a "Quick question about resolving force"?

"Quick question about resolving force" is a common phrase used to describe a question related to the process of breaking down a force into its components in order to analyze and understand its effects on an object or system.

Why is resolving force important in scientific research?

Resolving force is important in scientific research because it allows scientists to accurately measure and analyze the effects of forces on objects and systems. By breaking down a force into its components, scientists can better understand how it is acting and how it may be affecting the behavior of a system.

What is the difference between a resolved force and a resultant force?

A resolved force is a component of a force that is acting in a specific direction, while a resultant force is the combined effect of all forces acting on an object. Resolving a force involves breaking it down into its components, while determining the resultant force involves finding the net effect of all forces.

What is the process of resolving a force?

The process of resolving a force involves breaking it down into its horizontal and vertical components. This can be done using trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine. The components can then be analyzed separately to better understand the effects of the force on the object or system.

How does resolving force relate to Newton's laws of motion?

Resolving force is closely related to Newton's laws of motion. In particular, it relates to the second law, which states that the net force acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. By resolving forces, scientists can better understand the net force acting on an object and how it may be causing it to accelerate.