1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

FE Review force balance Question

1. Jul 23, 2014 #1
    I am working out of the 2010 lindeburg book which can be found here. The solution is in the book so I am actually looking for an explanation rather than a solutution.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/113765067/FE-Review-Manual-Lindeburg-2010 [Broken]

this is chapter 10 pg 8 in the chapter, reviewing the PDF its pg 163 on scribd. Problem # 2

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given Line P and Q which intersect at a 70 degree angle. A force F is applied between them at 25 degrees from p and 45 degree from Q.

Find Fp and Fq

2. Relevant equations
    Trig related

3. The attempt at a solution

My approach was simply to orient the system with line P being the x axis. Thus Fp should be 300cos(25) and because we know the angle between F and Q, Fq should also be easy to resolve as 300cos(45).

Both answers are wrong
    Lindeburg provides the solution as Fy=Fsin(25)=Fqsin(70) thus Fq=Fsin(25)/sin(70), Which I can see and understand. However for his Fp he initially uses the Fcos(25) then subtracts Fqcos(70).

I am curious to know the following

1. Why simply using the force multiplied by the cosine of the angle between the vector and direction doesn't work. This approach does work for x,y force components.

2. If P and Q are simply directional lines why Fq has any relevance on the magnitude of Fp

Thank you for looking.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2014 #2
    If you draw the (x,y) components of F in terms of 25 degrees and 70 degrees (on an x-y plane!) you should see the problem. What you're basically doing is giving a value for Fq relative to one position and a value for Fp from another.

4. Jul 23, 2014 #3
    I can kind of see that, at least as an explanation for Fq. But if I orient the system such that Fp is the x axis then Fp=Fx=Fcos25

5. Jul 23, 2014 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Well that is the 'projection' onto the x (or p) axis, but you are not looking for projections. You are looking for 2 vectors, Fp and Fq, such that Fp + Fq = F , using the laws of vector addition. Draw a sketch. I'd use the Law of Sines to solve.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted