Range of summation indices in the Christoffel symbol

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter TheEtherWind
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Christoffel Symbol
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
TheEtherWind
Messages
53
Reaction score
0
The Christoffel symbol is as followed:

[tex]{\Gamma ^{m}}_{ab}=\frac{1}{2}g^{mk}(g_{ak,b}+g_{bk,a}-g_{ab,k})[/tex]

where [itex]k[/itex] is a dummy index. What values is it summed over? If I had to guess I'd say 0 to 3, but it seems somewhat counter intuitive.

Does the Christoffel symbol become

[tex]{\Gamma ^{m}}_{ab}=\frac{1}{2}([g^{m0}(g_{a0,b}+g_{b0,a}-g_{ab,0})]+[g^{m1}(g_{a1,b}+g_{b1,a}-g_{ab,1})]+[g^{m2}(g_{a2,b}+g_{b2,a}-g_{ab,2})]+[g^{m3}(g_{a3,b}+g_{b3,a}-g_{ab,3})])[/tex]

?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You've got it right, at least for the "standard" case in relativity of a 4-D spacetime. The general rule is that summed indexes range over the full range of indexes in whatever manifold you are working with.
 
Why is this counter intuitive? It simply follows from the einstein summnation notation.
 
I understand the Einstein summation notation. I found it somewhat counter intuitive seeing as how it was a dummy index that didn't seem to "be" the 4 coordinates of space-time in any equation or tensor, etc. but it makes more sense the way PeterDonis said it... it's on a 4-dimensional manifold...