Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick Question about the Christoffel Symbol of the Second Kind

1. Aug 11, 2012 #1
    The Christoffel symbol is as followed:

[tex]{\Gamma ^{m}}_{ab}=\frac{1}{2}g^{mk}(g_{ak,b}+g_{bk,a}-g_{ab,k})[/tex]

where [itex]k[/itex] is a dummy index. What values is it summed over? If I had to guess I'd say 0 to 3, but it seems somewhat counter intuitive.

Does the Christoffel symbol become

[tex]{\Gamma ^{m}}_{ab}=\frac{1}{2}([g^{m0}(g_{a0,b}+g_{b0,a}-g_{ab,0})]+[g^{m1}(g_{a1,b}+g_{b1,a}-g_{ab,1})]+[g^{m2}(g_{a2,b}+g_{b2,a}-g_{ab,2})]+[g^{m3}(g_{a3,b}+g_{b3,a}-g_{ab,3})])[/tex]

?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2012 #2

PeterDonis

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You've got it right, at least for the "standard" case in relativity of a 4-D spacetime. The general rule is that summed indexes range over the full range of indexes in whatever manifold you are working with.

4. Aug 11, 2012 #3
    Why is this counter intuitive? It simply follows from the einstein summnation notation.

5. Aug 11, 2012 #4
    I understand the Einstein summation notation. I found it somewhat counter intuitive seeing as how it was a dummy index that didn't seem to "be" the 4 coordinates of space-time in any equation or tensor, etc. but it makes more sense the way PeterDonis said it... it's on a 4-dimensional manifold...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook