1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick Question about throwing a ball vertically

1. Sep 21, 2011 #1
    If I were to throw a ball vertically upward, would the initial velocity of the ball be the same as the final velocity of my arm?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2011 #2
    if by final you mean the second the ball leaves your hand, yes

4. Sep 21, 2011 #3
    Yes that is what I meant, thx.

5. Sep 21, 2011 #4
    Maybe not so simple - a ball is compressible - so as you accelerate the ball you will compress the ball's side nearest your hand. As the ball leaves your hand your arm must have been decelerating - or presumably the ball wouldn't have left your hand. The question is what happened to the energy you used to compress the ball on acceleration - did it give a kick to the ball which was decompressing on launch or was it already recovered somewhere in your arm motion before the ball left your hand? I don't know :( Try with a softly inflated balloon to see if you can see or feel what happens on release.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook