1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick question - finishing a convergence proof

1. Oct 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove [tex]c_0[/tex] is closed in [tex]l^{\infty}[/tex].

2. Relevant equations
    A set is closed iff it contains all its accumulation points.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Let [tex]\left\{x_n\right\}[/tex] be an accumulation point of [tex]c_0[/tex]. Then for all [tex]\epsilon > 0[/tex], there exists [tex]\left\{y_n\right\}[/tex] in [tex]c_0[/tex] such that [tex]d(x_n, y_n) = sup|x_n - y_n| < \epsilon[/tex]. Then [tex]|x_n - y_n| < \epsilon[/tex] for all n. Now since [tex]\left\{y_n\right\}[/tex] converges to 0, there exists an N such that [tex]|y_n| < \epsilon[/tex] for all n bigger than N. But then by reverse triangle inequality,
    [tex] |x_n|\leq |x_n - y_n| + |y_n| < 2\epsilon. [/tex]

Now I want to conclude that [tex]\left\{x_n\right\}[/tex] converges to 0, but I'm not sure how to say it. It's clear that since [tex]\epsilon[/tex] was arbitrary, [tex]\left\{x_n\right\}[/tex] should converge, but somehow I don't feel this is satisfactory enough for my 3rd year analysis course. Suggestions?

Edit: why does my LaTex look so ugly?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 8, 2009 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can also choose n big enough and a sequence yk so that d(xk, yk) < epsilon/2, and |yn| < epsilon/2. Then |xn| < epsilon. But epsilon is arbitrary, so this is the actual definition of converging to zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook