1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick Question of convergence/divergence of an endpoint of an interval

1. Apr 26, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have found the interval of convergence for the series
    Ʃ (xn)/(3nn2) to be -3>x>3 and have tested +3 to break down to p series 1/n2 which converges.

However I am unsure of the negative endpoint of 3.
    If I plug it in, the series looks like Ʃ(-3)n/(3nn2).
    By alternating series test, the series should converge, but that is when the alternation is between -1 and 1. Here I have -3, which will alternate between larger and larger factors of 3 and -3. The denominator is 3n which given alone with the numerator would diverge, even though the denominator is multiplied by n2, I feel it is not sufficiently large enough for the limit to go to 0 as n -> ∞, since an exponential function grows more quickly than a quadratic.

I want to say it diverges, but don't have solid proof. Thoughts?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 26, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That simplifies to$$
    \sum \frac {(-1)^n}{n^2}$$doesn't it? What does the alternating series test say about this?

4. Apr 26, 2012 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(-3)^n/3^n=(-1)^n. I'm really not sure what you are worried about.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook