Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick question to clear up some confusion on Riemann tensor and contraction

1. May 2, 2011 #1
    Let's say I want to calculate the Ricci tensor, [tex]R_{bd}[/tex], in terms of the contractions of the Riemann tensor, [tex]{R^a}_{bcd}[/tex]. There are two definitions of the Riemann tensor I have, one where the [tex]a[/tex] is lowered and one where it is not, as above.

To change between the two all that I have ever seen written is 'we lower the indices' but I don't think I fully understand this. Does this mean...

[tex]R_{abcd} = g_{aa} {R^a}_{bcd}[/tex]

So the answer to my original question of finding the Ricci tensor is...

[tex]R_{bd} = g^{ac} g_{aa} {R^a}_{bcd}[/tex]

Following this, I also have written before me that...

[tex]{R^b}_{bcd} = 0[/tex] since [tex]R_{abcd}[/tex] is symmetric on a and b. Shouldn't this be antisymmetric on a and b?

Sorry if these are basic questions but I'm finding the vagueness of 'lowering the indices' a bit confusing...

2. jcsd
  3. May 2, 2011 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You can't have the same index appearing 3 times in an expression, what you mean is

[tex]R_{abcd} = g_{ae} {R^e}_{bcd}[/tex]​
  4. May 2, 2011 #3
    The Riemann tensor

The raising and lowing of indices is done using the fundamental metric tensor [itex]g_{\alpha\beta}[/itex] and the inverse metric [itex]g^{\alpha\beta}[/itex].

The Ricci tensor

[tex]R^{\alpha}_{\;\beta\gamma\delta}\rightarrow R^{\alpha}_{\;\beta\alpha\delta}=R_{\beta\delta}[/tex]

is a contraction of the first and third indices.
  5. May 2, 2011 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I would argue that [tex]
    is the more fundamental expression for the Riemann tensor
    since this is defined from the derivative operator [without reference to a metric].
    Its trace yields the Ricci tensor [as jfy4 wrote]... and this too doesn't make use of a metric.

To lower the upper index of Riemann or to get the scalar-curvature from Ricci now requires a metric.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?