Quick statistical mechanics problem

In summary: In other words, En cannot just be equal to n, because that would mean that the system was in equilibrium. In summary, to solve for A in the equation 1=NA, you need to use the infinite sum: Ʃx^{n}=\frac{1}{1-x}. plugging that into the equation 1=NA, you get 1=e^{\frac{-E_{n}}{K_{B}T}}.
Wheelwalker

Homework Statement

In a large system of distinguishable harmonic oscillators, how high does the temperature have to be for the probable number of particles occupying the ground state to be less than 1?

Homework Equations

[itex]N(E_{n})=NAe^{\frac{-En}{K_{B}T}}[/itex]
[itex]E_{0}=0[/itex] (the textbook shifted the harmonic oscillator energies down by -[itex]\frac{1}{2}hw_{o}[/itex])

Answer: [itex]\frac{N\hbar\omega}{k_{B}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Since this question is asking about the probable number of particles occupying a given state with energy 0, I decided to use the occupation number equation. I set the equation equal to one (I figured once I found out what temperature made it equal to one, I could see how the expression would have to change in order for the occupation number to be below 1) and set the energy equal to zero. Each time I try to solve the resulting equation, I end up with a natural logarithm (due to solving for T in the exponential) which isn't in the answer in the back of the book. I'm guessing I'm over complicating this problem but it is bothering me that I can't figure it out. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
um. so you set this equation:
[tex]N(E_{n})=NAe^{\frac{-En}{K_{B}T}}[/tex]
equal to one? good. that's the right direction. And you set the energy to zero. So then your equation is:
[tex]1=NA [/tex]
right? I agree. So now, you 'solve the resulting equation' by solving for 'A' in the original equation, right? So what did you get for A ? please write it out, so I can see where you got to. It looks like you are headed in the right direction.

Okay, so if I solve the original equation for A, I get [itex]A=\frac{e^{\frac{E_{n}}{K_{B}T}}}{N}[/itex].

Plugging that into the equation [itex]1=NA[/itex], I get [itex]1=e^{\frac{E_{n}}{K_{B}T}}[/itex].

Taking the natural log of both sides gives me zero on the left hand side. What did I do wrong?

sorry wrong post

you've just gone in a circle, I'm afraid. You need to go even further back, to calculate A. To calculate A, you need to use your original equation:
[tex]N(E_{n})=NAe^{\frac{-En}{K_{B}T}}[/tex]
So here, try doing a sum over all possible values of En. what do you get on the left-hand-side, and what do you get on the right-hand-side. This will give you the value of A.

[itex]A=\frac{1}{Ʃe^{\frac{-E_{n}}{K_{B}T}}}[/itex]?

yep! that's it. Now, you can use the form of En, and the infinite sum just happens to have a nice answer.

So [itex]1=\frac{N}{Ʃe^{\frac{-E_{n}}{K_{B}T}}}[/itex].

I'm not sure what this infinite sum equals. However, I found this in my textbook...

[itex]Ʃx^{n}=\frac{1}{1-x}[/itex]. So, could I use that and let [itex]x=e^{\frac{-1}{K_{B}T}}[/itex]?

that is the right idea. although En is not just equal to n. Remember the constant of proportionality.

1. How do I calculate the probability of a state in a statistical mechanics problem?

The probability of a state is calculated by dividing the number of microstates that correspond to that state by the total number of microstates in the system. This can be represented by the equation P = Nstate/Ntotal, where P is the probability, Nstate is the number of microstates in the desired state, and Ntotal is the total number of microstates in the system.

2. What is the difference between microstates and macrostates in statistical mechanics?

Microstates refer to the specific arrangement of particles in a system, while macrostates refer to the overall properties of the system, such as temperature, pressure, and energy. In statistical mechanics, the behavior of a system is described by analyzing the probabilities of different microstates occurring within a given macrostate.

3. How do I calculate the entropy of a system in a statistical mechanics problem?

The entropy of a system can be calculated using the equation S = kBlnW, where S is the entropy, kB is the Boltzmann constant, and W is the number of microstates in the system. This equation relates the entropy of a system to the number of ways that its particles can be arranged.

4. What is the difference between classical and quantum statistical mechanics?

Classical statistical mechanics deals with the behavior of macroscopic systems with a large number of particles, where the particles are treated as classical objects. In contrast, quantum statistical mechanics takes into account the quantum nature of particles at the microscopic level and is used to describe the behavior of small systems, such as atoms and molecules.

5. How do I use statistical mechanics to predict the behavior of a system?

In statistical mechanics, the behavior of a system can be predicted by calculating the probabilities of different microstates occurring within a given macrostate. By understanding the distribution of particles in a system, we can make predictions about its properties, such as temperature, pressure, and energy, and how these properties will change over time.