Understanding Voltage in a Simple Circuit: A Quick Question

• Thread starter EvLer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voltage
In summary, The conversation discusses the concept of voltage in a circuit and how it relates to different components. The speaker clarifies that the voltage drop from A to B is the voltage across R2, and another speaker adds that the sum of the voltage drops from R1 and R2 is equal to the EMF (battery). The conversation also delves into a different circuit where the voltage drop from A to B is the sum of the voltages across R1 and the inductor or R2, and the current is divided between the two components. After some clarification, it is determined that the voltage drop from A to B is just one voltage and not a combination of two.
EvLer
Hi all, I am asking to see if I understand voltage correctly:
This is what circuit looks like:
Code:
-----R1---A----R2---
|           +      |
Vs         v(t)    |
|           -      |
|_________B_______ |
As I see it, v(t)(voltage drop from A to B) is voltage across R2, is it correct?
Thank in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
that is correct

What? the sum of the voltage drop from R1 and R2 is equal to the EMF (battery).

Didn't want to start another thread, but now I have another question: after the switch in some circuit moves to a certain position I get following circuit:
Code:
 A-------R1--------------
                |        |
                |        |
             indctr     R2
                |        |
                |        |
 B-----------------------
Then voltage drop from A to B is sum of voltages across R1 and inductor (or R2), right? Then there is a current coming from A and divides into 2 (for inductor and R2)? Or does R1 not have any current?
Thanks again.

Last edited:
drop from A to B is Vr1 and 2*Vr2. Even though the inductor and r2 voltages are the same, they both must be added.

Why 2*VR2? they are in parallel. What am I missing here? Don't inductor and R2 follow KVL?

oops, my bad. youre right. its just one.

Oh, Ok, thanks!

1. What is voltage?

Voltage is a measure of the electric potential difference between two points in a circuit. It is represented by the symbol V and is measured in volts.

2. What is a quick way to calculate voltage?

Voltage can be calculated by dividing the electrical energy by the electrical charge. This can also be represented as V = E/Q, where V is voltage, E is energy, and Q is charge.

3. How is voltage different from current?

Voltage is a measure of the potential difference, while current is a measure of the flow of electric charge. Voltage is required to create a current in a circuit.

4. What is the unit of measurement for voltage?

The unit of measurement for voltage is volts (V). Other common units include millivolts (mV) and kilovolts (kV).

5. What factors can affect the voltage in a circuit?

The voltage in a circuit can be affected by factors such as the type and number of components, the resistance of the circuit, and the power source supplying the voltage.