1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quotient map on a product space

1. Jan 10, 2007 #1
    suppose q:M -> M/R is a quotient map.

i've asked my dad what is the quotient map from MxM to (M/R)x(M/R)?

he told me it is qxq: MxM -> (M/R)x(M/R) defined by

(qxq)(x,y) = (q(x), q(y)),

but there are some conditions to be met, but he could not remember what those conditions are. i went through all 6 or so of my topology textbooks and could not find it.

does anybody know what the conditions are for qxq: MxM -> (M/R)x(M/R) defined by

(qxq)(x,y) = (q(x), q(y)),

to be a quotient map if q:M -> M/R is a quotient map???
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2007 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

It seems like no one wants to answer your question :S

In fact, the only reason Im posting is so this thread goes to the top of the list so someone might notice it, because I sure as hell don't know it.

Good Luck
  4. Jan 15, 2007 #3
    thanks a lot gib, i accepted already that apparently no one knows. the munkres topology book gives a counterexample of where a product of quotient maps is not a quotient map and i can see why it fails in the counterexample but can't figure out the general condition for failure. the counterexample munkres gives is so weird that i assume that qxq: MxM -> (M/R)x(M/R) is a quotient map in most cases except for the bizzarre ones.

thanks buddy for watching out for me. i took your advice about learning math for the sake of discovering what i really like, rather than just trying to scale up mount everest as quickly as possible. in fact, today i reverted to rereading the proofs to basic set theory to make sure i master the basics before jumping to 4th year courses.
  5. Jan 16, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, we can look at the pieces.

As a function on the underlying sets, qxq is certainly a surjective function, and "is" thus a quotient map.

As a map between topolocial spaces, qxq is clearly a continuous function.

So, the only possibility is that the topology on (M/R)x(M/R) is not the one induced by the map qxq, right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?