Quotient map on a product space

In summary, Gib tells me that qxq: MxM -> (M/R)x(M/R) is a quotient map if and only if the topology on (M/R)x(M/R) is the same as the topology on MxM.
Tom1992
suppose q:M -> M/R is a quotient map.

i've asked my dad what is the quotient map from MxM to (M/R)x(M/R)?

he told me it is qxq: MxM -> (M/R)x(M/R) defined by

(qxq)(x,y) = (q(x), q(y)),

but there are some conditions to be met, but he could not remember what those conditions are. i went through all 6 or so of my topology textbooks and could not find it.

does anybody know what the conditions are for qxq: MxM -> (M/R)x(M/R) defined by

(qxq)(x,y) = (q(x), q(y)),

to be a quotient map if q:M -> M/R is a quotient map?

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems like no one wants to answer your question :S

In fact, the only reason I am posting is so this thread goes to the top of the list so someone might notice it, because I sure as hell don't know it.

Good Luck

thanks a lot gib, i accepted already that apparently no one knows. the munkres topology book gives a counterexample of where a product of quotient maps is not a quotient map and i can see why it fails in the counterexample but can't figure out the general condition for failure. the counterexample munkres gives is so weird that i assume that qxq: MxM -> (M/R)x(M/R) is a quotient map in most cases except for the bizzarre ones.

thanks buddy for watching out for me. i took your advice about learning math for the sake of discovering what i really like, rather than just trying to scale up mount everest as quickly as possible. in fact, today i reverted to rereading the proofs to basic set theory to make sure i master the basics before jumping to 4th year courses.

Well, we can look at the pieces.

As a function on the underlying sets, qxq is certainly a surjective function, and "is" thus a quotient map.

As a map between topolocial spaces, qxq is clearly a continuous function.

So, the only possibility is that the topology on (M/R)x(M/R) is not the one induced by the map qxq, right?

What is a quotient map on a product space?

A quotient map on a product space is a type of mathematical map that takes two spaces and combines them into a new space, where the points in the new space are the equivalence classes of the points in the original spaces.

How is a quotient map different from a regular map?

A regular map, also known as a function, maps individual points from one space to another. A quotient map, on the other hand, maps entire equivalence classes of points from one space to another. This means that a quotient map takes into account not just the individual points, but also their relationships with each other.

What is the purpose of a quotient map on a product space?

The purpose of a quotient map on a product space is to simplify a more complex space into a more manageable one. By combining multiple spaces into one, it allows for easier analysis and understanding of the overall structure. This can be particularly useful in fields such as topology and geometry.

How is a quotient map used in real-life applications?

A quotient map on a product space can be used in a variety of real-life applications, including computer graphics, data compression, and pattern recognition. It can also be applied in economics and social sciences to model complex systems and relationships between variables.

Are there any limitations to using a quotient map on a product space?

While quotient maps can be useful in simplifying complex spaces, they may not always capture all the information from the original spaces. Additionally, constructing a quotient map can be a challenging task and may require a deep understanding of the underlying structures of the spaces involved.