Quoting doesn't work like it used to

• Thread starter gmax137
  • Start date
In summary, "quoting" is the process of referencing another person's words or ideas in a research or academic paper. It used to be done with quotation marks and page numbers, but in the digital age, this method is no longer sufficient. Challenges with quoting in the digital age include the lack of page numbers and the use of non-traditional sources, which can lead to plagiarism. Solutions include using citation management tools and familiarizing oneself with citation guidelines. To properly quote in the digital age, it is important to gather as much information about the source, use proper citation formats, and follow guidelines for the chosen citation style. Not properly citing sources can result in plagiarism and consequences such as failing grades and damage to credibility.
gmax137
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Used to be, when I clicked "insert quote" I could see the quoted text surrounded by [ QUOTE ] [/ QUOTE] and then I could manipulate the quoted text (to cut out extraneous portions, etc.). Now, I see a Quote Box, and if I try to replace quoted text with ellipses, I get another text box...

How do I get to the "view" of the quoted text that used to be the default view??

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the "Toggle BB code" button on the right: [ ]

Likes Greg Bernhardt and gmax137
Thank You @mfb ! sometimes things are so easy they are hard...

Likes BillTre and Greg Bernhardt

What does it mean when someone says "Quoting doesn't work like it used to"?

When someone says this, they are referring to the process of using quotation marks to indicate that a specific phrase or sentence was said or written by someone else. In the past, this was a common way to attribute information to its original source, but it has become less reliable due to the prevalence of online content and the ease of copying and pasting information.

Why is quoting not as effective as it used to be?

The rise of the internet and the ability to easily access and share information has made it more difficult to accurately track the original source of a quote. With the abundance of online content, it is not uncommon for multiple sources to use the same quote without proper attribution. This has led to the phrase "Quoting doesn't work like it used to" as a way to acknowledge the challenges of accurately quoting sources in the digital age.

How can I ensure that my quotes are accurate and properly attributed?

The best way to ensure accuracy and proper attribution is to do thorough research and verify the source of the quote. It is also important to use quotation marks and provide a citation for the source of the quote. Additionally, using reputable sources and fact-checking information can help prevent the spread of inaccurate quotes.

What are some alternatives to traditional quoting methods?

One alternative is to use paraphrasing, which involves restating information in your own words while still giving credit to the original source. Another option is to use hyperlinks to direct readers to the original source of the information. Additionally, using block quotes and providing context for the quote can help ensure accuracy and proper attribution.

How can we improve the process of quoting in the modern age?

One way to improve the process is to encourage critical thinking and fact-checking among individuals. It is also important for media outlets and content creators to prioritize accurate and ethical quoting practices. Additionally, technology and tools that track and verify sources could help make the process of quoting more reliable and transparent.