• Thread starter phinds
  • Start date
phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
David McCallum: NCIS and The Man from U.N.C.L.E actor dies aged 90

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-66919863

I wasn't that crazy about him in U.N.C.L.E and was definitely not crazy about him in the sci fic British TV series he made after that, BUT ... I absolutely love him in NCIS. I think he's one of those actors who get a lot better with age.

• Care
  • Sad
Likes pinball1970, davenn, Astronuc and 1 other person
Physics news on Phys.org
phinds said:
was definitely not crazy about him in the sci fic British TV series he made after that
But it had a young Joanna Lumley!

You would be shocked to see how long his list of credits is. Everything from guest starring in TV shows to The Great Escape.

Likes pinball1970, davenn and phinds
His Great Escape role was the best.

he also starred in the Outer Limits Sixth Finger episode as a man who had his intelligence enhanced beyond all limits.

Likes OCR and BillTre
Variety did a nice review of his career.
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/david-mccallum-star-ncis-man-213015283.html

In 1963 McCallum had the good fortune to be cast in the high-profile, monumentally successful American-made film “The Great Escape,” starring Steve McQueen and a host of others. McCallum was a key supporting player as a member of the team nicknamed “Dispersal,” and though his performance is not the first thing one remembers from the film, it allowed him to break through. In George Stevens’ 1964 Christ epic “The Greatest Story Every Told,” starring Max Von Sydow, McCallum played Judas, further boosting his profile — the New York Times said, “David McCallum’s Judas Iscariot oozes a chilling treachery.”

Likes BillTre and pinball1970
The most fascinating fact about David McCallum is about his music career:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_McCallum said:
In the 1960s, McCallum recorded four albums for Capitol Records with music producer David Axelrod: Music...A Part of Me (Capitol ST 2432, 1966), Music...A Bit More of Me (Capitol ST 2498, 1966), Music...It's Happening Now! (Capitol ST 2651, 1967), and McCallum (Capitol ST 2748, 1968). The best known of his pieces today is "The Edge", which was sampled by Dr. Dre as the intro and riff to the track "The Next Episode". McCallum's version of "The Edge" appears on the soundtracks to the 2008 video game Grand Theft Auto IV and the 2017 film Baby Driver.
McCallum's version:

Dr. Dre's version:

• Wow
Likes pinball1970
pinball1970 said:
it may not have aged well.
Neither did Joanna Lumley! *

Sapphire and Steel did not set up to be an epic in world-building with a Cast of Thousands (other shows have fans quibbling about the current exchange rate between quatloos and latinum. Just sayin') It didn't even intend to be scary. It intended to be creepy. McCallum's portrayal of Steel's lack of empathy was perfect (and a perfect contrast to Sapphire) made one wonder if the cure was worse than the disease. As intended.* That's a joke. She's not really the wreck she portrayed in Absolutely Fabulous.

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970
Vanadium 50 said:
Neither did Joanna Lumley! *

Sapphire and Steel did not set up to be an epic in world-building with a Cast of Thousands (other shows have fans quibbling about the current exchange rate between quatloos and katinum. Just sayin') It didn't even intend to be scary. It intended to be creepy. McCallum's portrayal of Steel's lack of empathy was perfect (and a perfect contrast to Sapphire) made one wonder if the cure was worse than the disease. As intended.* That's a joke. She's not really the wreck she portrayed in Absolutely Fabulous.
I saw it once and it was sinister as hell. The opening credits used the word, "transuranic!"
Ok neither Sapphire or Steel are elements but so what
Anyway in terms of aging? Like a fine wine.

"The Invisible man" 1975 series is an honourable mention.

jack action said:
The most fascinating fact about David McCallum is about his music career:

McCallum's version:

Dr. Dre's version:

He played a Bach piece in the Outer limits? According to wiki.

pinball1970 said:
"The Invisible man" 1975 series
I could never see him in that role.

• Haha
  • Love
Likes diogenesNY, DennisN, phinds and 2 others
pinball1970 said:
"The Invisible man" 1975 series

Vanadium 50 said:
I could never see him in that role.

Also, as far as I can remember, the portrayal of the character was rather transparent.

• Love
  • Wow
Likes BillTre and pinball1970
Just to clarify: my post above was a joke. :smile:

The Invisible Man was actually one of my favorite tv series when I was younger.

Likes pinball1970
phinds said:
David McCallum: NCIS and The Man from U.N.C.L.E actor dies aged 90
Memorial "Binge-watch" commences this p.m.; be back in a couple weeks.:cry::oldcry:

• Haha
Likes pinball1970 and phinds
pinball1970 said:
I thought Sapphire and Steel was awesome!

I was 12 when it came out though so it may not have aged well.
I must admit I'd never heard of it. I found an episode on YouTube. Interesting! I don't mind these low-budget efforts from earlier times. In general, they had to rely more on good acting. Expensive sets aren't everything.

With a lot of modern productions I often get the feeling that the actors don't really understand anything that is not contemporary. But, I digress.

Likes DennisN and pinball1970
PeroK said:
I don't mind these low-budget efforts from earlier times. In general, they had to rely more on good acting. Expensive sets aren't everything.
I very much agree with that. This is how I see it, roughly speaking:

The story is the most important, then the script, then the acting, then the filming and then the effects (if any).

Evidence (if needed :smile:):

If you have a good story and reasonably good acting but no particularly stunning sets you can still make a good movie.

And if you have stunning sets and amazing effects, but the story/script and/or the acting is bad, you will get a bad movie.

Likes pinball1970

1. Who was David McCallum?

David McCallum was a British actor, best known for his roles as Illya Kuryakin in the 1960s television series "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." and Ducky Mallard in the long-running crime drama "NCIS". He had a successful career spanning over six decades in film, television, and theater.

2. How did David McCallum die?

David McCallum passed away on September 10, 2021, at the age of 90. His death was confirmed by his son, actor and musician, Valentine McCallum. The cause of death has not been disclosed.

3. When did David McCallum start acting?

David McCallum began his acting career in the 1950s, appearing in various British films and television shows. He gained international recognition in 1964 when he was cast as Illya Kuryakin in "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." which became a worldwide hit and launched him to stardom.

4. What other notable roles did David McCallum have?

Apart from his iconic roles in "The Man from U.N.C.L.E." and "NCIS", David McCallum appeared in numerous films and television shows throughout his career. Some of his notable roles include Ashley-Pitt in "The Great Escape", Steel in "The Invisible Man", and Dr. Carlisle Cullen in the "Twilight" film franchise.

5. What is David McCallum's legacy?

David McCallum leaves behind a rich legacy in the entertainment industry. He was a highly respected and versatile actor, known for his talent, professionalism, and dedication to his craft. He will be remembered for his iconic roles, his impact on popular culture, and his contributions to the world of acting.