Race: the Scotsman and the Yenta

• Thread starter marcus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Race
In summary, a group of people on a spaceship are trying to figure out what race and species they are. They can't seem to agree on what race and species they are, and it is causing a lot of tension.
marcus said:
Now we have these 10 million Finns and they have, like us all, some fatal recessives floating around, and when we see two of them on a collision course we can do something about it. Maybe in 100 or 1000 years we get rid of most bad recessives----I don't know. But it is not a big problem for our Finns because the harmful genes are so dilute.

It seems to me that with genetic testing, any recessive genetic diseases can be filtered out of the population using pre-implantation genetic testing. As to inbreeding or outbreeding, both can have negative and positive effects. Inbreeding can concentrate some high quality genes. Any recessives that show up, since it is an inbred group, are filtered out by failure to breed. The village idiot got two bad recessives, does not breed, and they are set aside. There is such a thing as mutation loading in a species that does not inbreed. So either can have benefits or deleterious effects.

So it seems that as far as genetic disease is concerned, we are well into solving that problem with increased testing. Once past that, and we can identify genes for height, intelligence, aggressiveness, and intelligence, the game changes quickly. Those with the will, the resources, and the knowledge will use genetic engineering to improve their lineage, not just make it different. The result will be an evolutionary arms race between new species - it will not be peaceful. But in the end, the winner may be better off in terms of rationality, behavioral control, etc. Humans have not reached the level of rationality found in flatworms. As we progressed, we adopted false beliefs. Humans are the only species I am aware of to accomplish this - gain in intelligence and irrational beliefs.

It seems therefore that the next cycle of evolution for humans will throw us back to lower but more rational animals (the primitive brain) or we will evolve to be able to question the false beliefs that we hold. Several recent books discuss these issues including "What is Thought", "Why We Lie", "The Robot's Rebellion", "Being No One", etc.

Last edited:
<h2>What is "Race: the Scotsman and the Yenta" about?</h2><p>"Race: the Scotsman and the Yenta" is a fictional story that follows the lives of two characters, a Scottish man and a Jewish woman, as they navigate issues of race, identity, and relationships in a diverse society.</p><h2>What inspired you to write "Race: the Scotsman and the Yenta"?</h2><p>The inspiration for "Race: the Scotsman and the Yenta" came from my own experiences and observations of the complexities of race and culture in modern society. I wanted to explore these themes in a thought-provoking and relatable way through storytelling.</p><h2>Is "Race: the Scotsman and the Yenta" based on real events?</h2><p>No, "Race: the Scotsman and the Yenta" is a work of fiction. While it may touch on real-world issues and experiences, the characters and events are not based on specific individuals or events.</p><h2>What message do you hope readers will take away from "Race: the Scotsman and the Yenta"?</h2><p>I hope "Race: the Scotsman and the Yenta" will encourage readers to reflect on their own beliefs and attitudes towards race and diversity, and to recognize the importance of understanding and respecting different cultures and backgrounds.</p><h2>Are there any specific themes or topics addressed in "Race: the Scotsman and the Yenta"?</h2><p>Yes, "Race: the Scotsman and the Yenta" touches on themes of race, identity, culture, relationships, and the complexities of navigating these issues in a diverse society. It also explores the impact of societal expectations and stereotypes on individuals and their relationships.</p>

What is "Race: the Scotsman and the Yenta" about?

"Race: the Scotsman and the Yenta" is a fictional story that follows the lives of two characters, a Scottish man and a Jewish woman, as they navigate issues of race, identity, and relationships in a diverse society.

What inspired you to write "Race: the Scotsman and the Yenta"?

The inspiration for "Race: the Scotsman and the Yenta" came from my own experiences and observations of the complexities of race and culture in modern society. I wanted to explore these themes in a thought-provoking and relatable way through storytelling.

Is "Race: the Scotsman and the Yenta" based on real events?

No, "Race: the Scotsman and the Yenta" is a work of fiction. While it may touch on real-world issues and experiences, the characters and events are not based on specific individuals or events.

What message do you hope readers will take away from "Race: the Scotsman and the Yenta"?

I hope "Race: the Scotsman and the Yenta" will encourage readers to reflect on their own beliefs and attitudes towards race and diversity, and to recognize the importance of understanding and respecting different cultures and backgrounds.

Are there any specific themes or topics addressed in "Race: the Scotsman and the Yenta"?

Yes, "Race: the Scotsman and the Yenta" touches on themes of race, identity, culture, relationships, and the complexities of navigating these issues in a diverse society. It also explores the impact of societal expectations and stereotypes on individuals and their relationships.