Radial resistance of coaxial cable

In summary, the radial resistance of a coaxial cable can be calculated using the formula R = [resistivity * natural log of (b/a)] / [2*pi()*(length of cable)], where b is the outer radii and a is the inner radii. The derivation involves integrating the formula dR= resistivity*dr / A from a to b, where A is the cross-sectional area that a radial current 'sees' at a given radius. However, there may be some uncertainty about the correctness of the differential form, and further clarification is needed.
azaharak
One of the textbooks I've stumbled across states that the radial resistance of a coaxial cable ( current running from inner cylinder to outer cylinder via silicon in between) is given byR = [resistivity * natural log of (b/a)] / [2*pi()*(length of cable)]

where b is the outer radii and a is the inner radiiThe derivation was given as dR= resistivity*dr / A and then integrated from a to b.My question/issue is the dependence of the area on the radial length, I'm not so sure about the correctness of the differential form above.

If you follow through the chain rule with A a function of r

dR/dr= resistivity/Area + (d/dA)*(resistivity*r/Area)*(dA/dr)

which becomes

dR/dr= resistivity/area -[resistivity*r/(Area^2)] * (2*pi()*L)

which becomes

dR/dr=resistivity/area - resistivity/area =0

meaning that the resistance is a constant value which should be

R = resistivity / (2*Pi*L ) where L is the length of the cable (constant)
Help! Thank you very much.Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I did not quite follow what you were trying to do; but I never saw you write the area as a function of r, in the first place.

What you need to do is to write what is the cross-sectional area the a radial current 'sees' at a given radiur r...don't call it A, write the formula...it should simply depend on r, pi, and L; then,
integrate the dR from a to b

1. What is radial resistance of coaxial cable?

The radial resistance of coaxial cable refers to the resistance encountered by the electric current as it flows through the outer conductor of the cable. It is caused by the resistance of the material used for the outer conductor, as well as any imperfections or damage to the cable's structure.

2. How does radial resistance affect signal quality?

Radial resistance can cause signal loss and distortion, leading to a decrease in signal quality. This is because the resistance causes some of the electrical energy to be converted into heat, rather than being transmitted through the cable.

3. What factors affect the radial resistance of coaxial cable?

The primary factors affecting radial resistance are the material used for the outer conductor, the diameter of the cable, and any imperfections or damage to the cable's structure. Additionally, the length of the cable and the frequency of the signal being transmitted can also impact radial resistance.

4. How is radial resistance measured?

Radial resistance is typically measured in ohms (Ω) using a multimeter. The cable is connected to the multimeter, and the resistance is measured by passing a small electrical current through the cable and recording the voltage drop across the outer conductor.

5. How can I reduce radial resistance in coaxial cable?

To reduce radial resistance, it is important to use high-quality coaxial cable with a low-resistance outer conductor. The cable should also be properly installed and maintained to avoid any damage or imperfections that could increase radial resistance. Additionally, using shorter cable lengths and lower frequency signals can also help reduce radial resistance.