Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radiation or electrical interference? Geiger counter

1. Jan 13, 2016 #1
    First, I hope this is the correct place for this question.

I am experimenting with electrical discharges at low pressure, think plasma globe, and I bought a geiger counter to make sure I am not producing x-rays. My vacuum pump is rated down to 5 pascals. The problem is that the geiger counter is set off by the RF noise from the tesle coil. Using grounded metal shielding reduces this noise is greatly, but how can I tell if the geiger counter is in fact picking up x-rays?

Currently the counter only picks up a reading when very close to the discharge. X-rays should still be strong at more than 10-20cm from the source, right? The geiger counter also only goes off when using the tesle coil, and reads nothing when I use a high voltage DC supply. What do you think?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Depends on the energy range, but low-energetic x-rays won't go through the glass. At 1 keV, the range in air is just a few millimeters. For 10 keV this increases to more than a meter.

Aluminium foil could absorb electromagnetic interference while not absorbing too much x-rays (compared to the glass).

Absorption values from here.

4. Jan 13, 2016 #3
    Thanks, sounds like if they were able to escape the glass, then I would be picking them up farther away. The metal shielding is actually counter-productive in some cases because it just makes a bigger target for induction by rhe emf.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook