Radicals with order higher than 2

• Thread starter Eurovision
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radicals
In summary, Homework Equations state that in order to solve for the radical when given an equation with three radicals, one can use the binomial theorem for index n=1/3. Additionally, if the equation has a sum of cube roots of the form -q/2=9, then the only real root of the equation is x=3.
Eurovision

Homework Statement

order 3 radical from (9+4radical5) + order 3 radical from (9-4radical5)

*note: 9+4radical5 is all under the big order 3 radical. (so is the other one)

Homework Equations

in case you don't understand what i wrote (sorry, my language is not english and math linguistics differ in my language) click the attachement to see a picture of the equation

The Attempt at a Solution

I think i might find the solution by writing 9+4radical5 as a cube of something so as to cancel the radical but what if i have order 6 radical? (because i have this type of exercises as the next one. So clearly writing as a square, cube etc won't work everytime. Thank you!

Attachments

• CodeCogsEqn.gif
    CodeCogsEqn.gif
    907 bytes · Views: 458
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Eurovision said:

Homework Statement

order 3 radical from (9+4radical5) + order 3 radical from (9-4radical5)

*note: 9+4radical5 is all under the big order 3 radical. (so is the other one)

Homework Equations

in case you don't understand what i wrote (sorry, my language is not english and math linguistics differ in my language) click the attachement to see a picture of the equation

The Attempt at a Solution

I think i might find the solution by writing 9+4radical5 as a cube of something so as to cancel the radical but what if i have order 6 radical? (because i have this type of exercises as the next one. So clearly writing as a square, cube etc won't work everytime. Thank you!
Hallo Eurovision. Welcome to PF !

I take it that you need to in some way simplify [itex]\displaystyle \sqrt[3]{9+4\sqrt{5}\ }+\sqrt[3]{9-4\sqrt{5}\ }\,.[/itex] Is that correct?

Thank you.

Yes, i must find what it equals to (I know already is 3 from the answers) but i don't know how to solve it.

I would do this is in a rather different way. Cardano's formula for the "reduced" cubic, [itex]x^3+ px+ q= 0[/itex], gives a result of the form
[tex]x= \sqrt[3]{-\frac{q}{2}+ \sqrt{\frac{q^2}{4}+\frac{p^3}{27}}}+ \sqrt[3]{-\frac{q}{2}- \sqrt{\frac{q^2}{4}+ \frac{p^3}{27}}}[/tex]

The number in this problem, being a sum of cube roots, is of that form with -q/2= 9 and [itex]\sqrt{q^2/4+p^3/27}= 4\sqrt{5}[/itex] so that [itex]q^2/4+ p^3/27= 80[/itex]. Solving for p and q gives you a cubic equation that has x= 3 as its only real root.

HallsofIvy said:
I would do this is in a rather different way. Cardano's formula for the "reduced" cubic, [itex]x^3+ px+ q= 0[/itex], gives a result of the form
[tex]x= \sqrt[3]{-\frac{q}{2}+ \sqrt{\frac{q^2}{4}+\frac{p^3}{27}}}+ \sqrt[3]{-\frac{q}{2}- \sqrt{\frac{q^2}{4}+ \frac{p^3}{27}}}[/tex]

The number in this problem, being a sum of cube roots, is of that form with -q/2= 9 and [itex]\sqrt{q^2/4+p^3/27}= 4\sqrt{5}[/itex] so that [itex]q^2/4+ p^3/27= 80[/itex]. Solving for p and q gives you a cubic equation that has x= 3 as its only real root.

Interesting method. *like* :cool:

Here's how I would do it: cube the entire thing.

Something helpful: If you have [itex]S = A + B[/itex], then [itex]S^3 = A^3 + B^3 + 3AB(A + B)[/itex]. And what is [itex]A + B[/itex]? :)

Notice that [itex]\displaystyle \sqrt[3]{9+4\sqrt{5}\ }+\sqrt[3]{9-4\sqrt{5}\ }\,[/itex]

can be written as [itex]\displaystyle \sqrt[3]{\sqrt{81}+\sqrt{80}\ }+\sqrt[3]{\sqrt{81}-\sqrt{80}}\ .[/itex]

1. What are radicals with order higher than 2?

Radicals are mathematical expressions involving roots, where the order represents the number of times the root is taken. A radical with order higher than 2 is a radical expression where the root is taken more than two times. For example, a fifth root or a tenth root would be considered radicals with order higher than 2.

2. How do you simplify radicals with order higher than 2?

To simplify a radical with order higher than 2, you must first factor the number under the radical sign into its prime factors. Then, group the prime factors in pairs and bring one factor from each pair outside the radical sign. The remaining factors inside the radical sign should be multiplied together. This process can be repeated until there are no more factors inside the radical sign.

3. What are some common mistakes when simplifying radicals with order higher than 2?

One common mistake is forgetting to simplify the numbers inside the radical sign. Another mistake is not grouping the prime factors correctly, which can result in an incorrect final answer. It is also important to check for perfect powers, as these can be simplified further.

4. How are radicals with order higher than 2 used in real life?

Radicals with order higher than 2 are commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science to solve complex equations and model real-world situations. For example, in engineering, radicals with order higher than 2 are used to calculate the stress on a structure or the velocity of a moving object.

5. Can radicals with order higher than 2 be negative?

Yes, radicals with order higher than 2 can have negative values. However, it is important to note that the result of a radical with an even order (e.g. fourth root) will always be positive, while the result of a radical with an odd order (e.g. fifth root) can be positive or negative depending on the value under the radical sign.