Struggling with Algebra Radicals: What's the Right Approach?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Counterstrike
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Algebra Radicals
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Counterstrike
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



This is the problem. I seem to be having a hard time removing the radicals.
The answer should be 12/5. I have no idea how to get there. I am just trying to learn how to handle a situation like this, so I can be prepared in the future.

2x*(4x-1)^-1/2 - 3sqrt(4-x) = 0



The Attempt at a Solution



I've tried flipping the negative exponent into a fraction and then combining it into one fraction. I tried to directly remove the radicals by squaring everything, but somewhere I must be doing something wrong.

Any hints to the procedures on how to solve this?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Add [itex]3(\sqrt{4-x}\,)[/itex] to both sides.

Multiply both sides by [itex]\sqrt{4x-1}\,.[/itex]

Square both sides.

After doing some algebra, you will have a quadratic equation
 
2x*(4x-1)^-1/2 - 3sqrt(4-x) = 0

[itex]\frac{2x}{\sqrt{4x-1}} - 3\sqrt{4-x}=0[/itex]
[itex]\frac{2x}{\sqrt{4x-1}} = 3\sqrt{4-x}[/itex]
Square both sides.
...
 
Just replying to thank you for your swift response! Much appreciated. Yes, that did help me quite a bit. In the future, I will be including more info on how I approached the problem. I was really tired that night.