Algebra II Equations Containing Radicals

In summary, the student struggled to solve an equation with two radicals, and then repeated the process with the original equation to check for extraneous roots. After trying several methods, the student was able to solve the problem for y.
velox_xox
More fun with radicals!

...As for the problem, I tend to get problems with this same form (but with slight differences such as two separate binomials underneath individual square roots) wrong. I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong, so I was hoping for some help. :D

Homework Statement

Solve. If an equation has no real solution, say so.

[tex] \sqrt {y} + \sqrt {y + 5} = 5 [/tex]

Answer: [itex] 4 [/itex]

Homework Equations

--

The Attempt at a Solution

The first thing I have been taught to do is to isolate the radicals on one side. That's already done.

Next, square both sides to eliminate radicals. I have a feeling that something I'm doing here is incorrect (?)

[itex] (\sqrt {y} + \sqrt {y + 5})^2 = 5^2 [/itex]
[itex] y +y + 5 = 25 [/itex]

Solve for y.

[itex] 2y + 5 = 25 [/itex]
[itex] 2y = 20 [/itex]
[itex] y = 10 [/itex]

But, since you often have the possibility of extraneous roots; you have to test it out in the original formula. When I do that, I get 'no solution.'

[itex] \sqrt {10} + \sqrt {10 + 5} \stackrel{?}{=} 5 [/itex]
[itex] \sqrt {10} + \sqrt {15} \stackrel {?} {=} 5 [/itex]

Approximate values from here on:

[itex] 3.16 + 3.87 \stackrel {?} {\approx} 5 [/itex]
[itex] 7.03 \neq 5 [/itex]

So, how'd I mess it up this time? (*joking*) Thanks in advance for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
velox_xox said:
More fun with radicals!

...As for the problem, I tend to get problems with this same form (but with slight differences such as two separate binomials underneath individual square roots) wrong. I'm not quite sure what I'm doing wrong, so I was hoping for some help. :D

Homework Statement

Solve. If an equation has no real solution, say so.

Answer: [itex] 4 [/itex]

Homework Equations

--

The Attempt at a Solution

The first thing I have been taught to do is to isolate the radicals on one side. That's already done.

Next, square both sides to eliminate radicals. I have a feeling that something I'm doing here is incorrect (?)

[itex] (\sqrt {y} + \sqrt {y + 5})^2 = 5^2 [/itex]
[itex] y +y + 5 = 25 [/itex]
This is an error. [itex](a+ b)^2= a^2+ 2ab+ b^2[/itex], NOT "[itex]a^2+ b^2[/itex]".
[itex](\sqrt{y}+ \sqrt{y+ 5})^2= (\sqrt{y})^2+ 2\sqrt{y(y+ 5)}+ (\sqrt{y+5})^2= y+ 2\sqrt{y^2+ 5y}+ y+ 5= 25[/itex]
Now, "isolate" that remaining square root and square again:
[itex]\sqrt{y^2+ 5y}= 10-y[/itex]
[itex](y^2+ 5y)= (10+ y)^2= 100+ 20y+ y^2[/itex]

Solve that for y.

Solve for y.

[itex] 2y + 5 = 25 [/itex]
[itex] 2y = 20 [/itex]
[itex] y = 10 [/itex]

But, since you often have the possibility of extraneous roots; you have to test it out in the original formula. When I do that, I get 'no solution.'

[itex] \sqrt {10} + \sqrt {10 + 5} \stackrel{?}{=} 5 [/itex]
[itex] \sqrt {10} + \sqrt {15} \stackrel {?} {=} 5 [/itex]

Approximate values from here on:

[itex] 3.16 + 3.87 \stackrel {?} {\approx} 5 [/itex]
[itex] 7.03 \neq 5 [/itex]

So, how'd I mess it up this time? (*joking*) Thanks in advance for your help!

velox_xox said:
When you have an equation with two radicals, it's often more efficient to move them to the opposite sides of the equation.

## \sqrt{y} = 5 - \sqrt{y + 5}##
Now square both sides:
y = (5 - ##\sqrt{y + 5}##)2 = 25 - 10##\sqrt{y + 5}## + y + 5
=> 0 = 30 - 10##\sqrt{y + 5}##

This equation is easy to solve for y.

Here's another method to consider. Multiply both sides of the equation by

[itex]\sqrt{y+5}[/itex] - [itex]\sqrt{}y[/itex]

You get

[itex]\sqrt{y+5}[/itex] - [itex]\sqrt{}y[/itex] = 1

If you subtract this equation from the original equation, you get

2[itex]\sqrt{}y[/itex] = 4

Okay, thanks to everyone's replies I think I see several different ways of going about solving the problem. I have a couple other problems that I happened to get wrong with the same form, so I'm going to try this and see if I can solve them on my own now, but first, I'd like to make sure that I have it down right in the first place.

Is this the correct form? (I used Mark44's suggestion for this one):

[itex] 0 = 30 - 10\sqrt {y + 5} [/itex]
[itex] -30 = - 10 \sqrt {y + 5} [/itex]
[itex] 3 = \sqrt {y + 5} [/itex]
[itex] 3^2 = (\sqrt {y + 5})^2 [/itex]
[itex] 9 = y + 5 [/itex]
[itex] 4 = y [/itex]

And checking it for extraneous roots:

[itex] \sqrt {4} + \sqrt {4 + 5} = 5 [/itex]
[itex] 2 + \sqrt {9} = 5 [/itex]
[itex] 2 + 3 = 5 [/itex]

@HallsofIvy: Thank you for literally spelling it out for me. I had easier problems earlier in my assignment with the (a + b)^2 form, and it took me a few tries to recognize it, but this one was really sneaky. Instead of thinking of it as, [itex] (a + b)^2 [/itex] or [itex] (\sqrt {y} + \sqrt {y + 5})^2 [/itex] as you put it, I was actually thinking of it as: [itex] (\sqrt {y})^2 + (\sqrt {y + 5})^2 [/itex]. I'll have to watch out for this!

@Chestermiller: Wow. I wouldn't have even thought of that using a conjugate to multiply and then taking that equation and subtracting from the original. Heh. And I almost wanted to correct you and say it was [itex] \sqrt {y} - \sqrt {y + 5} [/itex], but thank goodness I caught the sign change that comes from subtracting. Thank you for another method. :D

Last edited:

1. What are radicals in Algebra II equations?

Radicals in Algebra II equations refer to any expression that contains a root symbol (√). These symbols represent the square root (√), cube root (∛), or any other nth root (√n) of a number.

2. How do I solve equations containing radicals?

To solve equations containing radicals, you need to isolate the radical term on one side of the equation and then square both sides of the equation to eliminate the radical. Repeat this process until the radical is eliminated and you are left with a solution.

3. Can radicals have negative values?

Yes, radicals can have negative values. However, when solving equations containing radicals, we typically only consider the principal root, which is the positive value of the radical. This is to ensure that the solutions are real numbers.

4. Are there any restrictions on the values of variables in equations containing radicals?

Yes, there are some restrictions on the values of variables in equations containing radicals. For example, in a square root (√) expression, the radicand (number under the root symbol) cannot be negative. In a cube root and higher nth root expressions, the radicand cannot be negative if the index (power) is even.

5. How do I check if my solution for an equation containing radicals is correct?

To check if your solution for an equation containing radicals is correct, simply plug in the solution into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. If it does, then your solution is correct. If it does not, then you may have made a mistake in your calculations or the equation may have no real solutions.