Radio-Frequency Electronics by Jon B. Hagen

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electronics
In summary, "Radio-Frequency Electronics" is a good book for systems engineers to gain a basic understanding of the components in an RF chain. Each chapter is short and provides a quick overview of the topic. However, the book lacks sufficient details and examples for designing RF circuits. The 2nd edition includes new topics, such as S parameters, but may not be as helpful for those with limited background in analog electronics.
Physics news on Phys.org
I took a course based on a draft of this book and own the 1st edition, but have only perused the 2nd edition. To me this seems like a good book for a systems engineer to learn the basics of how different components in an rf chain work. Each chapter is really short - about 1 lecture worth of material for most, so each topic gets a quick look. However, in my opinion this book does not contain enough details and examples to really teach how to design rf circuits. Since I am basically a systems engineer this book is useful, but I must say that while taking the course I did NOT find the book to be as helpful as it could be. I think my background in analog electronics was insufficient (3 relevant courses: intro circuits, intro analog electronics, microwave engineering that only covered passive devices) , so I needed more hand-holding than the book provides.

The new edition adds some important topics, like a chapter on S parameters.

jason

1. What is the main focus of "Radio-Frequency Electronics" by Jon B. Hagen?

The main focus of "Radio-Frequency Electronics" is to provide a comprehensive overview of the fundamental principles and concepts of radio-frequency (RF) electronics. It covers topics such as RF circuits, components, systems, and design techniques.

2. Is this book suitable for beginners in the field of RF electronics?

Yes, this book is suitable for beginners as it starts with basic concepts and gradually builds up to more advanced topics. It also includes practical examples and exercises to help readers understand and apply the concepts.

3. What sets this book apart from other books on RF electronics?

This book is known for its clear and concise explanations, practical approach, and real-world examples. It also covers a wide range of topics, including both analog and digital RF electronics, making it a comprehensive resource for students and professionals alike.

4. Does this book cover the latest developments in RF electronics?

Yes, this book is regularly updated to reflect the latest advancements in the field of RF electronics. It also includes discussions on emerging technologies and their applications.

5. Who is the target audience for this book?

This book is aimed at students and professionals in the fields of electrical engineering, electronics, and telecommunications. It is also a useful resource for anyone interested in learning about RF electronics and its applications.