Radio wave attenuation and scattering and absorption

In summary, radio waves are not greatly attenuated by the atmosphere due to its lossless dielectric properties and minimal scattering and absorption. This is why they are used to transmit information and are not greatly affected by the atmosphere. In the case of the ionosphere, it may slightly influence propagation but this is not considered scattering or absorption.
ASidd
I am trying to understand why radio waves are not greatly attenuated by the atmosphere due to scattering or absorption? I have tried searching the internet and can't find any satisfactory answers. Please help.
Oh and does this property somehow relate to why they are used to transmit information.
And I am only just starting physics so please explain in simple terms.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ASidd said:
I am trying to understand why radio waves are not greatly attenuated by the atmosphere due to scattering or absorption? I have tried searching the internet and can't find any satisfactory answers. Please help.
Oh and does this property somehow relate to why they are used to transmit information.
And I am only just starting physics so please explain in simple terms.

Welcome to the PF.

For the most part, air (the atmosphere) is a lossless dielectric, with EM propagation very similar to a vacuum (free space). Why would you expect scattering and absorption at radio frequencies?

Are you instead thinking of the ionosphere? It is conductive enough to influence the propatation of radio waves...

1. What is radio wave attenuation?

Radio wave attenuation is the process by which radio waves lose strength as they travel through a medium, such as air, water, or buildings. This can be caused by various factors, including distance, interference, and absorption by the medium.

2. How does scattering affect radio waves?

Scattering is the process by which radio waves are redirected in different directions due to interactions with particles in the medium. This can cause a weakening or spreading out of the signal, leading to attenuation.

3. What causes absorption of radio waves?

Absorption of radio waves occurs when the energy of the wave is transferred to the particles in the medium, causing them to vibrate and dissipate the energy. This can happen with different types of materials, such as buildings, trees, and even the human body.

4. Is radio wave attenuation always a bad thing?

Not necessarily. In some cases, attenuation can be useful, such as in satellite communications where a weaker signal can be received and amplified by a satellite dish. However, in most cases, attenuation is undesirable as it can lead to a weaker or distorted signal.

5. How can we minimize radio wave attenuation and scattering?

There are several ways to minimize radio wave attenuation and scattering, such as using higher frequencies, using directional antennas, and avoiding obstacles or interference. Additionally, using signal boosters or repeaters can help strengthen the signal. Proper planning and positioning of radio equipment can also help reduce attenuation and scattering.