Radio Wave Question: Reception Better for Low or High Frequencies?

In summary, low frequency radio waves have longer wavelengths and lower frequencies, while high frequency radio waves have shorter wavelengths and higher frequencies. The better frequency for radio wave reception depends on the specific situation, as low frequency waves are better at penetrating obstacles and high frequency waves are better for data transmission. Low frequency waves can travel farther than high frequency waves, and there is currently no evidence of significant health risks associated with radio wave reception. The ideal frequency to use for communication depends on factors such as distance, obstacles, and data transmission needs, and it is best to consult a professional or industry standards for specific recommendations.
fran1942

Homework Statement

If we placed a radio receiver inside a cage made of 100mm grid wire mesh, would the radio reception be better for low (eg 1 MHz) or high (eg cellphone) radio frequencies. Explain

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the reception would be better for high frequencies because the the corresponding wavelength would be smaller therefore matching the small wire mesh size better and passing though with less interference.

Can someone please confirm if I am on the right track here ?

Thanks kindly for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your thinking.

1. What is the difference between low and high frequency radio waves?

Low frequency radio waves have longer wavelengths and lower frequencies, while high frequency radio waves have shorter wavelengths and higher frequencies.

2. Which frequency is better for radio wave reception?

It depends on the specific situation. Low frequency radio waves are better at penetrating obstacles like buildings and hills, making them more suitable for long distance communication. High frequency radio waves, on the other hand, are better at carrying large amounts of data and are less susceptible to interference, making them better for short distance communication.

3. Can low frequency radio waves travel farther than high frequency radio waves?

Yes, low frequency radio waves have longer wavelengths which allows them to travel farther. This is why they are commonly used for long distance communication, such as AM radio broadcasts.

4. Are there any potential health risks associated with radio wave reception?

There is currently no evidence to suggest that radio wave reception poses any significant health risks. However, it is always recommended to limit exposure to high levels of radio frequency radiation, such as those emitted from cell phones and other wireless devices.

5. How do I know which frequency to use for my specific communication needs?

It is important to consider the distance and obstacles between the transmitter and receiver, as well as the amount of data that needs to be transmitted. Generally, low frequency radio waves are better for long distance communication, while high frequency radio waves are better for short distance and high data transmission. It is always best to consult with a professional or refer to industry standards for specific frequency recommendations for your communication needs.