Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Do scientists know how many electrons an element has?

1. Dec 26, 2003 #1

Mk

Do scientists know how many electrons an element has? Can someone explain why I was taught about shells of electrons in atoms?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 26, 2003 #2

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

An element in its nonionized state exist primarily as its most common isotope; that is with a specific number of electrons, protons, and neutrons.

You should review the introductory chapter on atomic orbitals; the history spanning the discovery of an electron up to the development of quantum mechanics should help you to understand the logic of shells and the importance in explaining and unifying molecular phenomenas.

The chapter on "shells" is rather complex and in depth. It pertains to atomic bonding theory, molecular bonding theory, and thus explains the stability/instability, color, structure etc...of molecules and atoms.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    General Chemistry Homework (started as of 12/03/03)
    All questions answerd for free within 24 hours
    http://groups.msn.com/GeneralChemistryHomework

Chemicalforums
    http://www.chemicalforums.com

4. Dec 26, 2003 #3

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think this is my first post in the Chemistry Forum!

Yes, we know how many electrons each element has. It is stated on the periodic table.

Two electrons, by their nature, cannot be in the exact same quantum state. For that reason, they arrange themselves into shells in an atom. These shells are solutions to the Schrodinger equation (the basic equation of nonrelativistic QM).

5. Dec 27, 2003 #4
    Re: Electrons

The shells of electrons are very very important. Where the electrons are and in what orbit goes along way to determining the reactivity and characterisitics of the atom. Basically all of chemistry in all it's forms is mostly about what the electrons are doing in their orbitals.

6. Dec 29, 2003 #5
    Re: I think this is my first post in the Chemistry Forum!

not quite true, while electrons are Fermions, (Pauli exclusion principle. )

At low temperatures, bosons CAN behave differently than fermions because an unlimited number of them can collect into the same energy state. known as condesation

pairs of electrons on the other hand can act like bosons.... (added in the edit)

eg superfluid liquid helium.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2003
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?