Radius and Weight and the Earth

In summary, the question my teacher gave me is as follows: If Pat weighs 750 N on Earth, what would Pat weigh on another planet with twice Earth's mass and one quarter the Earth's radius? To answer this, I would use the formula Fg =G(m1)(m2)/r squared and find the weight of Pat on the other planet, W_p . The result would be 24000 N.
susan__t
The question my teacher gave me is as follows...
If Pat weighs 750N on Earth, what would Pat weigh on another planet with twice Earth's mass and one quarter the Earth's radius?
We are not given the exact radius or mass of the Earth and I am having a hard time figuring it out.
I know I have to used the formula Fg =G(m1)(m2)/r squared
I considered also trying to find some kind of ratio (like 2/(.25)squared) but I don't understand how that will help me and what I have to do from there

My test is tomorrow, please help!
Thanks,
Susan

Physics news on Phys.org
susan__t said:
I know I have to used the formula Fg =G(m1)(m2)/r squared
I considered also trying to find some kind of ratio (like 2/(.25)squared)

Yes, you want to set up a comparison ratio; that way, you don't need to know the exact mass and radius of Earth.

Call the weight of the person on Earth W_e . That is given by

W_e = G·(mass of person)·(mass of Earth) / (radius of Earth)^2 .

Call their weight on the other planet W_p . How would you write that?

Since you want to compare the two, what is the quotient (W_p)/(W_e)? That is to say, if you take the ratio of the two expressions, what cancels out and what remains?

You are given the ratio of the planet's radius to Earth's radius and the ratio of the planet's mass to Earth's mass. You will get a numerical value for (W_p)/(W_e) . Since you know the person's weight on Earth (W_e = 750 N), you can now find their weight on the other planet, W_p .

Thank you that's wonderful, I ended up with 24000 Newtons which sounds about right

That looks right, but it sounds painful... (That's almost 5400 lbs.!)

dynamicsolo said:
That looks right, but it sounds painful... (That's almost 5400 lbs.!)
On a planet that's 30x denser than Earth...You wonder if the teacher could have come up with a scenario that could at least physically exist.

1. What is the radius of the Earth and how is it measured?

The radius of the Earth is approximately 6,371 kilometers (3,959 miles) and it is measured using various methods such as satellite imagery, GPS technology, and ground-based surveys. The most accurate measurement is obtained by using satellite data and is constantly being refined by scientists.

2. How does the weight of an object change at different locations on Earth?

The weight of an object is directly affected by the strength of Earth's gravitational pull, which is determined by the distance between the object and the center of the Earth. This means that an object will weigh slightly less at higher elevations and slightly more at lower elevations due to the change in distance from the center of the Earth.

3. How does the radius of the Earth impact its overall mass?

The radius of the Earth plays a significant role in determining its mass. The larger the radius, the more surface area and volume the Earth has, resulting in a greater mass. This mass is what creates the Earth's gravitational pull and keeps objects and humans on its surface.

4. Are there any factors that can affect the radius and weight of the Earth?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the radius and weight of the Earth. These include tectonic activity, which can cause changes in the Earth's surface and alter its shape and size, and the distribution of mass within the Earth, which can vary due to movements of the Earth's crust and changes in the Earth's interior.

5. How does the radius and weight of the Earth compare to other planets in our solar system?

The Earth is the fifth largest planet in our solar system, with a radius of 6,371 kilometers and a weight of approximately 5.97 x 10^24 kilograms. It is larger and heavier than Mercury, Venus, and Mars, but smaller and lighter than the gas giants Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune.