1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radius of a Raindrop given Charge and Electric Potential

1. Jul 15, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A spherical rain drop carries a charge of 5×10-6 C and has a potential of 8.800×10-8 V at the surface. Find the radius of the drop.

2. Relevant equations

V = (kQ)/r

3. The attempt at a solution

I simply moved V and r to their respective spots and plugged in my numbers. I got a very large number of 5.11*10^11, so i am wondering if my units are wrong or if I am doing something else wrong. Thanks for your help!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2013 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello, freddy13.

You're right, you're getting a ridiculous answer even though your method is correct. (Your answer for the radius is more than 3 times the distance to the sun.) The value for the potential looks very suspicious. Are you sure that 10 is raised to the negative 8 power? Also, the value for the charge seems very high for a raindrop.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  4. Jul 16, 2013 #3
    Yeah I copied the problem exactly! It has to be something with the units that I am missing, that seems to be the only possibility!

5. Jul 16, 2013 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I agree. It must be a misprint in the statement of the problem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted