Radius of a Raindrop given Charge and Electric Potential

In summary, The problem involves finding the radius of a spherical rain drop with a charge of 5×10-6 C and a potential of 8.800×10-8 V at its surface. However, the potential value may be a misprint as it leads to a very large answer for the radius.
freddy13

Homework Statement

A spherical rain drop carries a charge of 5×10-6 C and has a potential of 8.800×10-8 V at the surface. Find the radius of the drop.

Homework Equations

V = (kQ)/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I simply moved V and r to their respective spots and plugged in my numbers. I got a very large number of 5.11*10^11, so i am wondering if my units are wrong or if I am doing something else wrong. Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, freddy13.

You're right, you're getting a ridiculous answer even though your method is correct. (Your answer for the radius is more than 3 times the distance to the sun.) The value for the potential looks very suspicious. Are you sure that 10 is raised to the negative 8 power? Also, the value for the charge seems very high for a raindrop.

Last edited:
Yeah I copied the problem exactly! It has to be something with the units that I am missing, that seems to be the only possibility!

I agree. It must be a misprint in the statement of the problem.

I would first check to make sure that all of the units are consistent. The equation you used, V = (kQ)/r, requires the charge (Q) to be in coulombs (C) and the radius (r) to be in meters (m). The potential (V) should be in volts (V). If your units are not consistent, this could be causing your large result.

Additionally, I would double check the values given in the problem to make sure they are accurate and in the correct units. If everything seems to be correct, I would suggest using a calculator or computer program to double check your calculations and make sure there are no errors.

If you are still getting a large result, it may be helpful to break down the equation and solve for the radius step by step. For example, first solve for kQ, then divide by V, and finally take the square root to find the radius. This can help pinpoint where the error may be occurring.

Overall, it is important to always double check your work and make sure your units are consistent when solving scientific equations.

1. What is the relationship between the radius of a raindrop and its charge and electric potential?

The radius of a raindrop is directly proportional to its charge and electric potential. This means that as the charge and electric potential increase, so does the radius of the raindrop.

2. How do you calculate the radius of a raindrop given its charge and electric potential?

The radius of a raindrop can be calculated using the following formula:
r = sqrt(q/(4*pi*epsilon*v)), where q is the charge of the raindrop, epsilon is the permittivity of the medium, and v is the electric potential.

3. What is the significance of the radius of a raindrop in relation to its charge and electric potential?

The radius of a raindrop is important because it determines the size of the electric field surrounding the drop. A larger radius means a stronger electric field, which can have various effects on the behavior of the raindrop.

4. How does the radius of a raindrop affect its movement in an electric field?

The radius of a raindrop can affect its movement in an electric field by increasing its surface area, which can cause it to experience more drag and slow down its movement. Additionally, a larger radius can also cause the raindrop to experience stronger forces from the electric field, potentially altering its trajectory.

5. Can the radius of a raindrop change over time due to changes in its charge and electric potential?

Yes, the radius of a raindrop can change over time as its charge and electric potential change. This is because of the direct relationship between the radius and these two variables. In addition, external factors such as temperature, humidity, and air pressure can also affect the charge and electric potential of a raindrop, thus altering its radius.