Radius of Convergence of Fibonacci sequence

It is not enough to just use the ratio test. You must also determine the behavior of the ratio, which you did not do.
Susanne217
Radius of Convergence of Fibonacci sequence :)

Homework Statement

Given the Fibonacci sequence where

[tex]\frac{1}{1-x-x^2} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} F_{n} x^n[/tex]

find the radius of convergence around zero.

Homework Equations

Ratio test

The Attempt at a Solution

By the radio test [tex] \lim_{n \to \infty} \left|\frac{F_{n+1}x^{n+1}}{F_{n}x^n}\right| =|x| = 0[/tex] Thus the radius of Convergence since R = 0.

Am I correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Susanne217 said:
[tex] \lim_{n \to \infty} \left|\frac{F_{n+1}x^{n+1}}{F_{n}x^n}\right| = 0[/tex]

How did you get that? It's not true.

[tex]\frac{F_{n+1}}{F_n}[/tex]

converges to a certain positive number (the so-called "golden section") as [itex]n \rightarrow \infty[/itex]. What does that say about

[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left|\frac{F_{n+1}x^{n+1}}{F_n x^n}\right|?[/tex]

jbunniii said:
How did you get that? It's not true.

converges to a certain positive number (the so-called "golden section") as [itex]n \rightarrow \infty[/itex]. What does that say about

[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left|\frac{F_{n+1}x^{n+1}}{F_n x^n}\right|?[/tex]

I will look at it again, sorry :)

You can also find the zeros of the generating function on the left. The one with the smalles absolute value (smallest distance from the origin around which you perform your Taylor expansion) should give you the radius of convergence.

I can see I was way of and I'm sorry for that. Golden ratio and all that. I didn't learn about that mathwise in High School here in my part of the world. So I will read up on it :)

However I'm now told that the Fibonacci sequence convergeces towards

the socalled golden ratio [tex]\frac{1+\sqrt{5}}{2}[/tex]

Well, not the Fibonacci sequence itself- that increases without bound. It is the ratio
that converges to the "golden ratio"
[tex]\frac{1+ \sqrt{5}}{2}[/tex]

But your radius of convergence is not that.

HallsofIvy said:
Well, not the Fibonacci sequence itself- that increases without bound. It is the ratio
that converges to the "golden ratio"
[tex]\frac{1+ \sqrt{5}}{2}[/tex]

HallsofIvy we all know you are like a Jedi then it comes to Math and Science compared to rest of us.

So to show the radius of convergence of the fibunacci sequence do I need to show first that whole thing convergences to the golden ratio?

Susanne217 said:
HallsofIvy we all know you are like a Jedi then it comes to Math and Science compared to rest of us.

So to show the radius of convergence of the fibunacci sequence do I need to show first that whole thing convergences to the golden ratio?

so for the ratio I get

that [tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} |\frac{F_{n+1}}{F_n}| = \frac{1+\sqrt{5}}{2}[/tex]

thus the radius of convergence [tex]R = \frac{1+\sqrt{5}}{2}[/tex]

how is that?

Susanne217 said:
so for the ratio I get

that [tex]\lim_{n \to \infty} |\frac{F_{n+1}}{F_n}| = \frac{1+\sqrt{5}}{2}[/tex]

thus the radius of convergence [tex]R = \frac{1+\sqrt{5}}{2}[/tex]

how is that?

It is not correct. The general element of the series is not [itex]F_{n}[/itex], but [itex]F_{n} x^{n}[/itex].

Dickfore said:
It is not correct. The general element of the series is not [itex]F_{n}[/itex], but [itex]F_{n} x^{n}[/itex].

this maybe be a stupid question but if as a previous post surgests I do Taylor series expansion

F_0 + F_1 z + F_2 z^2 + ...+ F_(n+1) z^(n+1)

isn't the ratio which I need to find

lim = (F_(n+1) z^(n+1)/F_nx^n) = ?

for n - > infty

You need to find the constraints on [itex]z[/itex], and you have not done so.

Dickfore said:
You need to find the constraints on [itex]z[/itex], and you have not done so.

Its suppose to be the radius of convergence around zero but if I set z to zero then the whole fraction turns zero. That can't the right can't it?

Please use the ratio test correctly as you did in your original post, although you made a mistake evaluating the relevant limit there.

EDIT:

On further inspection, I don't know why you equate the limit to zero?

Dickfore said:
Please use the ratio test correctly as you did in your original post, although you made a mistake evaluating the relevant limit there.

EDIT:

On further inspection, I don't know why you equate the limit to zero?

so my original post was right?

No. Please refer to the proper use of the ratio test for any power series.

we have the power series:

[tex]\sum_{n=1} a_{n} x^{n-1}[/tex]

from 1 to infinity, where [tex] a_{n} [/tex] is the nth term of the fibonacci sequence.

From the ratio test, we have the form

[tex] a_{n+1} / a_{n} * x [/tex] and we need this to be < 1 to determine our radius of convergence.. So, we must decide how [tex] a_{n+1} / a_{n} [/tex] behaves.

We have a0 = 1, a1 = 1 , a2 = 2, a3 = 3

a1 / a0 = 1 , a2 / a1 = 2, a3 / a2 = 3/2 .. do this enough and convince yourself that the ratio between two consecutive an+1 / an is bounded above by something. Prove by induction.

1. What is the radius of convergence of the Fibonacci sequence?

The radius of convergence of the Fibonacci sequence is equal to 1. This means that the series will converge for all values of x within a distance of 1 from the origin.

2. How is the radius of convergence of the Fibonacci sequence calculated?

The radius of convergence of the Fibonacci sequence can be calculated by using the ratio test. This test compares the ratio of consecutive terms in the series to a limit, and if the limit is less than 1, the series will converge.

3. What happens if the value of x is outside the radius of convergence?

If the value of x is outside the radius of convergence, the Fibonacci sequence will not converge. Instead, it will either diverge or oscillate between different values.

4. Is there a way to increase the radius of convergence of the Fibonacci sequence?

No, the radius of convergence of the Fibonacci sequence is fixed at 1. However, we can use other techniques, such as manipulating the series or using other methods of approximation, to extend the convergence beyond the radius of 1.

5. How does the radius of convergence affect the accuracy of the Fibonacci sequence?

The closer the value of x is to the origin, within the radius of convergence, the more accurate the Fibonacci sequence will be. As x approaches the boundaries of the radius, the accuracy of the sequence decreases.