Radius Of Curvature On A Beam

In summary, the conversation is about finding an example to learn from on calculating the radius of curvature in a simply supported beam. The beam has a length of 6m, a vertical point load of 45kN at a distance of 4m from one end, and a UDL. The maximum allowable bending stress is 120MPa and the beam has a young's modulus of 200GPa. The question is asking for the radius of curvature. The conversation also confirms that the beam is supported from both sides.
spggodd
Hey, hopefully this is a suitable forum to put this in! I've been having a bit of trouble trying to find an example to learn from about finding the raidus of curvature in a simply supported beam.

I've got a point loads and a UDL to take into account and seem to find it near impossible to find any examples where the two are combined.

If it helps the question is as follows:

1. A simply supported beam of length 6m supports a vertical point load of 45kN a distance of 4m from one end. If the maximum allowable bending stress is 120MPa:

*7 previous questions were asked*

If the beam has a young's modulus of 200GPa calculate the radius of curvature.

Any information you might need just ask!

Thanks!

Edit: Read a sticky and you want my own attempt?

Well I would show you what I've done but I am that stuck that i don't have anything!
I'm just trying to get hold of some useful info to get started

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it supported from both sides?

azatkgz said:
Is it supported from both sides?

Hey, thanks for getting back to me.

Yes the beam is supported from both sides.

Question 1: What is the radius of curvature on a beam?

The radius of curvature on a beam refers to the distance from the center of curvature to the centerline of the beam. It is used to describe the amount of bending or curvature in the beam.

Question 2: How is the radius of curvature calculated?

The radius of curvature can be calculated using the formula R = EI/M, where R is the radius of curvature, E is the modulus of elasticity, I is the moment of inertia, and M is the bending moment. Alternatively, it can also be calculated as the inverse of the curvature, which is the change in angle over the change in length.

Question 3: What factors affect the radius of curvature on a beam?

The radius of curvature on a beam is affected by several factors, including the material properties of the beam, the load applied to the beam, the shape and size of the beam, and the support conditions at the ends of the beam.

Question 4: Why is the radius of curvature important in beam design?

The radius of curvature is an important factor in beam design as it determines the level of stress and strain in the beam. A smaller radius of curvature indicates a higher level of stress, which can lead to failure of the beam. Therefore, understanding and controlling the radius of curvature is crucial in designing safe and efficient beams.

Question 5: How can the radius of curvature be adjusted on a beam?

The radius of curvature on a beam can be adjusted by changing the load, changing the shape or size of the beam, or altering the support conditions. Additionally, the use of structural reinforcements, such as braces or trusses, can also help control the radius of curvature and distribute the load on the beam more evenly.