Radius of Curvature in a simply supported beam

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
7 replies · 27K views
spggodd
Messages
37
Reaction score
0
Hey, hopefully this is a suitable forum to put this in! I've been having a bit of trouble trying to find an example to learn from about finding the raidus of curvature in a simply supported beam.

I've got a point loads and a UDL to take into account and seem to find it near impossible to find any examples where the two are combined.

If it helps the question is as follows:

1. A simply supported beam of length 6m supports a vertical point load of 45kN a distance of 4m from one end. If the maximum allowable bending stress is 120MPa:

*7 previous questions were asked*

If the beam has a young's modulus of 200GPa calculate the radius of curvature.


Any information you might need just ask!

Thanks!

Edit: Read a sticky and you want my own attempt?

Well I would show you what I've done but I am that stuck that i don't have anything!
I'm just trying to get hold of some useful info to get started!
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What class is this from? What text do you use?
Have you Googled this? With what results?
 
thanks for the quick reply

This from an Mechanical Engineering HNC course, in the engineering science unit on Static engineering systems assignment.

The textbooks i have are Higher Engineering science by W. Bolton and also Higher Engineering Maths by J. Bird + various handouts which i can't seem to find the information needed.
I've also had a look through the general Higher engineering book by M Tooley i think?

I've googled it but it just comes up with results about calculating laser curvature radius and when i go more specific in my query it doesn't bring back hardly any results.
 
spggodd said:
thanks for the quick reply

This from an Mechanical Engineering HNC course, in the engineering science unit on Static engineering systems assignment.

The textbooks i have are Higher Engineering science by W. Bolton and also Higher Engineering Maths by J. Bird + various handouts which i can't seem to find the information needed.
I've also had a look through the general Higher engineering book by M Tooley i think?

I've googled it but it just comes up with results about calculating laser curvature radius and when i go more specific in my query it doesn't bring back hardly any results.
I don't often see problems asking for curvature raddii based on the deflected the shape of the beam under load, , but in any case, it can't be calculated without knowing the moment of inertia of the beam's cross section...is it given?
 
i have a sheet tha tcame with my assiugnment based on BS 5950-1:2000 which guives me some universal beams, dimensions and properties but i catn see the moment of inertia on it?

But.. seein as the beam is supported at both ends i wouldn't have thought it would be spinning therefore not having a angular momentum? (moment of inertia)
 
I have just read about about moments of interia and they say that sometimes its called the 2nd moment of area.. which i DO have!

in the X-X axis it is 10087cm^4 and in the Y-Y axis it is 357cm^4
 
spggodd said:
I have just read about about moments of interia and they say that sometimes its called the 2nd moment of area.. which i DO have!

in the X-X axis it is 10087cm^4 and in the Y-Y axis it is 357cm^4
Well fine, then the radius of curvature is simply EI/M , where E is Youngs modulus and the value you use for I depends upon whether the beam is bending about the strong axis (X-X) or weak axis (Y-Y). Now you just need to calculate M as a function of x, the length along the beam. The radius varies along the deflected shape of the beam. Can you calculate the bending moment M?
 
It appears I am stuck on the same kind of question, yet a little harder.
I googled for an answer and I got linked to this site.. which was a question of mine almost 3 years ago haha!

I was looking for the Engineering Bending Equation to calculate the Raidus of curvature, but the above post has already helped.

Shows how far I've come over the past few years...!