Curvature radius question for my muon beam experiment

In summary, the conversation discusses a particle beam moving along the z-axis and going through a dipole magnet, with the focus on the shift between two hit positions in a tracker. The request is for help in finding the relation between the shift and the curvature radius. There is also a discussion about the level of understanding needed for the question and the suggestion to approach it as a high school geometry problem. The conversation ends with the person asking for clarification and the other person offering help if needed.
faca
Hello, I've a particle beam moving along the z-axis. The beam goes through a dipole magnet. I studied the hit position in a tracker after the magnet and I noticed that there are hits at 2 different x coordinate (the x asix is transverse to the z one). Let's call Delta x the shift between the 2 x points, I need the relation between the Deltax and the 2 curvature radius . Please, can anyone help me?
Thank you

Attachments

• 20200617_162319.jpg
    20200617_162319.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 185
Physics news on Phys.org
What research have you done on this?

Hi vanadium.
Vanadium 50 said:
What research have you done on this?
Hi vanadium I'm studying some data. I noticed the shift, it means the beam isn't monochromatic, so I need to calculate the difference on the momentum. Do you know how to release the shift to the curvature radius?

faca said:
Do you know how to release the shift to the curvature radius?

Yes, I do, but as an A-level question you're supposed to have graduate-level understanding. I'm trying to figure out what you know already so I can properly help you.

Vanadium 50 said:
Yes, I do, but as an A-level question you're supposed to have graduate-level understanding. I'm trying to figure out what you know already so I can properly help you.
Thank you vanadium. I know that I can express the deflection angle θ=L/R (L is the length of the magnet) but I can't find a relation between the Deltax and the radius. Maybe, you can try to write in the way you think it's better to do and if I don't understand something I will ask you about that.

Think of it as a high school geometry problem. You have a circle with two points and a tangent line.

I did in that way:

[Note: Enhanced images uploaded by Mentor]

Delta1.jpg

Delta2.jpg

Attachments

• 20200617_231200.jpg
    20200617_231200.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 177
  • 20200617_231210.jpg
    20200617_231210.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 180
Last edited by a moderator:
If you are trying to say "thank you", you're welcome. If you are trying to say you still need help, you're going to have to put in more effort than posting two pages of unclear scrawl and asking us to figure it out.

1. What is the curvature radius in a muon beam experiment?

The curvature radius in a muon beam experiment refers to the radius of the circular path that the muon particles follow as they pass through a magnetic field. This radius is determined by the strength of the magnetic field and the momentum of the muon particles.

2. How is the curvature radius measured in a muon beam experiment?

The curvature radius can be measured by observing the trajectory of the muon particles as they pass through the magnetic field and calculating the radius using the known values of the magnetic field strength and the muon's momentum. This can also be done using specialized equipment such as a particle detector.

3. What is the significance of the curvature radius in a muon beam experiment?

The curvature radius is an important factor in muon beam experiments as it provides information about the properties of the muon particles, such as their charge and mass. It can also be used to study the behavior of particles in a magnetic field and to verify the predictions of theoretical models.

4. How does the curvature radius affect the results of a muon beam experiment?

The curvature radius can affect the results of a muon beam experiment by influencing the trajectory of the muon particles and the accuracy of their measurements. A larger curvature radius may result in a less accurate measurement of the muon's properties, while a smaller curvature radius may provide more precise results.

5. Can the curvature radius be manipulated in a muon beam experiment?

Yes, the curvature radius can be manipulated in a muon beam experiment by adjusting the strength of the magnetic field or the momentum of the muon particles. This allows researchers to control and study the behavior of the muon particles in the experiment and obtain more accurate results.