1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Railway engineering requirements

1. Apr 18, 2015 #1
    I'm a 10th grade student and I'm very interested in railway engineering. Especially railway vehicle engineering.
    What are the requirements for that kind of profession?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't know what sort of "protection" you'll need, so I'll assume you were talking about "profession" instead.

From a general standpoint, a mechanical engineering degree would probably give you the best preparation to enter this field.

I'm not aware of any schools which concentrate on engineering railway vehicles primarily, and you need to decide if you want to focus on locomotives versus all the stuff locomotives pull, since locos are more complex machines.

Good Luck!

4. Apr 18, 2015 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Other than rolling stock and locomotives, railway engineering (or transportation engineering in general) often come under civil engineering, which includes structural engineering, although structural engineering has become it's own specialty field.

Rolling stock and locomotives would be covered by mechanical engineering, and locomotives, which tend to use electric motors, would also involve electrical/power engineering.

One could do mechanical and civil/transportation engineering. There are hybrid aspects such as track/train or track/vehicle dynamics.

5. Apr 18, 2015 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

6. Apr 21, 2015 #5
    Just wanted to say that the speed record set by the JR L0 maglev train is an example to why railway engineering is great.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook