RAIN FALL QUESTIONS-CAN'T FIND PART 4 about kg

• Thread starter tmoney23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fall Rain
In summary, the conversation is about finding the amount of water that falls on one acre of land during a thunderstorm, given the total amount of rain that falls (0.9 inches). The solution is found by using the equation ρ=m/V, with a known density of water (1000kg/m^3) and volume (92.5111378 m^3). The resulting mass is 1000kg.
tmoney23
RAIN FALL QUESTIONS---CAN'T FIND PART 4 about kg!

Homework Statement

During a thunderstorm, a total of 0.9 inches of rain falls. How much water falls on one acre of land? (1 mi2 = 640 acres) Express your answer in the following ways.

I found ft^3, m^3, and in^3, but I'm stumped on part 4...where it asks for kg??

Homework Equations

I found 564376 in^3, 3267 ft^3, and 92.5111378 m^3 and I know these 3 parts are 100 percent correct?
JUST NEED HELP WITH PART 4 ON HOW TO FIND kg!
Thanks in advance guys!

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

A relevant equation you will need is density, ρ=m/V.

What is the density of water ?

SORRY!

NOTE: Density of 1000kg/m^3!

Thanks. sorry again

tmoney23 said:
SORRY!

NOTE: Density of 1000kg/m^3!

Thanks. sorry again

Well then, if you have the formula ρ=m/V, you know 'ρ' and you know 'V', you want to find 'm', rearrange the formula and make 'm' the subject.

i still don't get it? i know my mass is x, what is the density in this problem? Would i take the 1000kg/92.5111378 m^3? and then my volume is 92.5111378 m^3...so I would get m=dv...so d=10.8095 and then v is 92.5111378 m^3, d times v equals 1000?

tmoney23 said:
i still don't get it? i know my mass is x, what is the density in this problem? Would i take the 1000kg/92.5111378 m^3? and then my volume is 92.5111378 m^3...so I would get m=dv...so d=10.8095 and then v is 92.5111378 m^3, d times v equals 1000?

m=ρV.

You told me density ρ=1000kg/m3

And the volume V=92.5111378m3?

Just substitute into the formula.

SO the answer is 1000kg after doing the math out?

1. What is the "Rain Fall Questions" series about?

The "Rain Fall Questions" series is a collection of books that explore the science behind rain and its impact on the environment, society, and human life. Part 4 specifically focuses on the measurement of rain using the unit of kilograms (kg).

2. Why is it important to measure rain in kilograms?

Measuring rain in kilograms can provide valuable information about the amount of water that falls during a rainstorm. This information can help scientists understand the impact of rain on the environment, such as its role in the water cycle and potential for flooding.

3. How is rain measured in kilograms?

Rain is typically measured in millimeters using a rain gauge, which collects the water and converts it into a measurement of depth. This measurement can then be converted into kilograms by considering the density of water and the surface area of the rain gauge.

4. Can't I just use other units like inches or centimeters to measure rain?

While inches and centimeters are commonly used to measure rain, using kilograms can provide a more accurate and standardized measurement. This is particularly important in scientific research and data analysis.

5. Where can I find Part 4 of the "Rain Fall Questions" series?

Part 4 of the "Rain Fall Questions" series may be available for purchase or download on various online platforms or at your local library. You can also contact the author or publisher for more information on how to obtain a copy.