1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Raindrops striking car - find impulse

1. Mar 29, 2008 #1
    I have this exercise of many i have to do but this is the hardest of them and i don't get it much.

While a car is stopped at a traffic light in a storm, raindrops strike the roof of the car. The area of the roof is 5.0 m^2. Each raindrop has a mass of 3.7 x 10^-4 Kg and speed of 2.5 m/s before impac6 and is at rest after impact. If, on average at given time, 150 raindrops strike each square meter, what is the impulse of the rain striking the car?

is there a formula for this or something? This physic class is driving me crazy, i understand the lab but the class professor (is different than the lab one) is old doesn't explain too well and im just lost.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 30, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Impulse is just change in momentum and momentum is just mass*velocity.
    So work out mass*speed of each drop, and total number of drops in that area.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?