Raising and lowering Ricci Tensor

In summary: It's alright, I got it - It can be done by contracting ##a## with ##c## then multiplying ##g^{be}##.
unscientific
Taken from Hobson's book:

ricci4.png

How is this done? Starting from:

[tex] R_{abcd} = -R_{bacd}[/tex]

Apply ##g^{aa}## followed by ##g^{ab}##

[tex]g^{aa}g^{aa} R_{abcd} = -g^{ab}g^{aa}R_{bacd}[/tex]
[tex]g^{ab}R^a_{bcd} = -g^{ab}g^{aa}R_{bacd} [/tex]
[tex]R^{aa}_{cd} = - g^{ab}g^{aa} R_{bacd} [/tex]

Applying ##g_{aa}## to both sides:
[tex]g_{aa}R^{aa}_{cd} = - g^{ab}g^{aa} g_{aa} R_{bacd} [/tex]
[tex] R^a_{acd} = -g^{ab} R_{bacd} [/tex]
[tex] R^a_{acd} = - R^a_{acd} = 0 [/tex]

Is there a quicker way?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
unscientific said:
Taken from Hobson's book:

ricci4.png

How is this done? Starting from:

[tex] R_{abcd} = -R_{bacd}[/tex]

Apply ##g^{aa}## followed by ##g^{ab}##

[tex]g^{aa}g^{aa} R_{abcd} = -g^{ab}g^{aa}R_{bacd}[/tex]
[tex]g^{ab}R^a_{bcd} = -g^{ab}g^{aa}R_{bacd} [/tex]
[tex]R^{aa}_{cd} = - g^{ab}g^{aa} R_{bacd} [/tex]

Applying ##g_{aa}## to both sides:
[tex]g_{aa}R^{aa}_{cd} = - g^{ab}g^{aa} g_{aa} R_{bacd} [/tex]
[tex] R^a_{acd} = -g^{ab} R_{bacd} [/tex]
[tex] R^a_{acd} = - R^a_{acd} = 0 [/tex]

Is there a quicker way?
[itex]g^{aa}[/itex] has no meaning. The metric is symmetric tensor, [itex]g^{a b} = g^{b a}[/itex], so when you contract it with some antisymmetric tensor like [itex]R_{a b c d e f g} = - R_{b a c d e f g}[/itex], you get zero:
[tex]g^{ab} R_{a b c d} = - g^{b a} R_{b a c d}, \ \Rightarrow \ R^{b}{}_{b c d} = - R^{a}{}_{a c d} .[/tex]
So, you have something equal to minus itself. It must be zero.

samalkhaiat said:
[itex]g^{aa}[/itex] has no meaning. The metric is symmetric tensor, [itex]g^{a b} = g^{b a}[/itex], so when you contract it with some antisymmetric tensor like [itex]R_{a b c d e f g} = - R_{b a c d e f g}[/itex], you get zero:
[tex]g^{ab} R_{a b c d} = - g^{b a} R_{b a c d}, \ \Rightarrow \ R^{b}{}_{b c d} = - R^{a}{}_{a c d} .[/tex]
So, you have something equal to minus itself. It must be zero.

Thanks for replying, I think I almost got the hang of it.
Quick but unrelated question:
Suppose I start off with ##R_{abcd}##, how do I get to ##R_{bc}##?

I'm thinking ##g^{aa}R_{abcd} = R^a _{bcd}## then ##-R^a_{bdc}## then ##-g_{de} g^{ea} R^a_{bdc} = -\delta_d^a R^a_{bdc} =- R^a_{bac} =- R_{bc}##.

Last edited:
unscientific said:
Quick but unrelated question:
Suppose I start off with ##R_{abcd}##, how do I get to ##R_{bc}##?
This depends on the book you use. I contract the first with the last index [itex]R_{a b} = g^{c d} R_{c b a d} = R^{d}{}_{b a d}[/itex] others do it between the first and the 3rd.

samalkhaiat said:
This depends on the book you use. I contract the first with the last index [itex]R_{a b} = g^{c d} R_{c b a d} = R^{d}{}_{b a d}[/itex] others do it between the first and the 3rd.

I don't understand how you can do that... I'm confused.

samalkhaiat said:

Starting with the Bianchi Identity:

[tex]\nabla_e R_{abcd} + \nabla_c R_{abde} + \nabla_d R_{abec} = 0 [/tex]

I raise index ##a## by multiplying ##g^{aa}##:

[tex] \nabla_e R^a_{bcd} + \nabla_c R^a_{bde} + \nabla_d R^a_{bec} = 0 [/tex]

I'm trying to understand their steps:

riemann1.png

samalkhaiat said:

It's alright, I got it - It can be done by contracting ##a## with ##c## then multiplying ##g^{be}##.

unscientific said:
Starting with the Bianchi Identity:

[tex]\nabla_e R_{abcd} + \nabla_c R_{abde} + \nabla_d R_{abec} = 0 [/tex]

I raise index ##a## by multiplying ##g^{aa}##:

[tex] \nabla_e R^a_{bcd} + \nabla_c R^a_{bde} + \nabla_d R^a_{bec} = 0 [/tex]
I told you, we don't have an object like [itex]g^{aa}[/itex]. If you have a tensor [itex]T_{abc}[/itex] and you want to raise the first index, you multiply your tensor with [itex]g^{a d}[/itex], i.e. [itex]T^{d}{}_{b c} = g^{a d} T_{a b c}[/itex].

Multiply the BI with [itex]g^{ad}[/itex]. Let us do it term by term:
The first term [tex]g^{ad} \nabla_{e} R_{abcd} = \nabla_{e} g^{ad} R_{abcd} = \nabla_{e} R^{d}{}_{bcd} = \nabla_{e} R_{bc} .[/tex] The second term [tex]g^{ad} \nabla_{c} R_{abde} = \nabla_{c} R^{d}{}_{bde} = - \nabla_{c} R_{be} .[/tex] And the third term is easy, just raise the index on the covariant derivative [tex]g^{ad} \nabla_{d} R_{abec} = \nabla^{a} R_{abec} = \nabla_{a} R^{a}{}_{bec} .[/tex]

samalkhaiat said:
Multiply the BI with [itex]g^{ad}[/itex]. Let us do it term by term:
The first term [tex]g^{ad} \nabla_{e} R_{abcd} = \nabla_{e} g^{ad} R_{abcd} = \nabla_{e} R^{d}{}_{bcd} = \nabla_{e} R_{bc} .[/tex] The second term [tex]g^{ad} \nabla_{c} R_{abde} = \nabla_{c} R^{d}{}_{bde} = - \nabla_{c} R_{be} .[/tex] And the third term is easy, just raise the index on the covariant derivative [tex]g^{ad} \nabla_{d} R_{abec} = \nabla^{a} R_{abec} = \nabla_{a} R^{a}{}_{bec} .[/tex]

The ricci tensor is defined as ##R_{bc} = R^a_{bac}## in my notes. I'm trying to work with their notation.

1. What is the Ricci tensor?

The Ricci tensor is a mathematical object used in the study of differential geometry. It is defined as a tensor contraction of the Riemann curvature tensor, and represents the local curvature of a manifold.

2. How is the Ricci tensor calculated?

The Ricci tensor is calculated by taking the contraction of the Riemann curvature tensor with respect to two indices. This contraction is also referred to as the Ricci curvature, and it represents the average curvature of a manifold in a given direction.

3. What does it mean to raise the Ricci tensor?

Raising the Ricci tensor involves multiplying it by the inverse of the metric tensor. This operation changes the indices of the tensor, allowing for easier manipulation and calculation in certain applications.

4. How is the Ricci tensor lowered?

The Ricci tensor is lowered by multiplying it by the metric tensor. This operation changes the indices of the tensor and allows for easier manipulation and calculation in certain applications.

5. What is the significance of the Ricci tensor in physics?

The Ricci tensor plays a crucial role in Einstein's theory of general relativity, which describes the gravitational interactions between objects in terms of the curvature of spacetime. The Ricci tensor is used to calculate the Einstein tensor, which is directly related to the energy and momentum of matter and radiation in a given region of spacetime.