What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #10,606
I understood the weird look I received recently. I meant to tell someone I was doing a Spring Cleaning on Steroids. Instead, I said I'm doing a Spring cleaning on ...Hemorrhoids.

• Haha
Likes pinball1970
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #10,607
Wonder if it would make sense to include the links to free books put out by Springer?

• #10,611
Tom.G said:
Checking the Google search results found a site with a list sorted by subject:
https://hnarayanan.github.io/springer-books/
Thanks for the link, but these are not free, but discounted:
Screenshot_20230510_042053_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20230510_042003_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20230510_042003_Samsung Internet.jpg

• #10,612
If it looks like a duck,
walks like a duck,
and quacks like a duck,

then it is definitely a **** AI if you had to ask.

• Love
Likes Bystander
  • #10,613
1683815749915.png

the dead zone where all sense of time and space seems to disappear ....

• Haha
Likes DennisN, WWGD, pinball1970 and 2 others
  • #10,614
Back in my days it was more like this:

1683818062381.png

We didn't know sleep and the fridge was empty anyway.

• Haha
Likes pinball1970, nuuskur and BillTre
  • #10,615
fresh_42 said:
We didn't know sleep and the fridge was empty anyway.
The first ever webcam was pointed at the coffee pot so that people didn't need to walk all the way there to find the pot empty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trojan_Room_coffee_pot

I wonder what people did when it was empty?

• Haha
Likes OmCheeto
  • #10,616
Likes Grelbr42
  • #10,617
Not too confident about an organization called the " Feil" organization.

• #10,619
Random book. Totally forgot I had this, I have Griffiths but got bogged down quick. I will try again but was wondering if you guys had come across it.

Attachments

• IMG_20230513_105329_242.jpg
    IMG_20230513_105329_242.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 35
  • #10,620
I am basically satisfied with Google, but one thing sucks as hell. If I searched for something, then they fill both of my caches, the German and the English one. But if I clean up one cache, the other one remains untouched.

• #10,622
Screenshot 2023-05-18 at 8.21.33 AM.png

That makes too much sense!

• Haha
Likes DennisN, Ibix, OmCheeto and 1 other person
  • #10,623
The 'flea market' of my favourite IT site is littered with all those 'mining rigs'
It's quite tempting to put up some real hard ware (for real men) o0)

Last edited:
  • #10,624
Screenshot 2023-05-19 at 7.42.44 AM.png

Likes Grelbr42, Astronuc and fresh_42
  • #10,625
BillTre said:
screenshot-2023-05-19-at-7-42-44-am-png.png
He also reacted similarly to the UK sci-fi sitcom Red Dwarf:

Summary: when he first saw it, his intention was to sue, until he realised it was a comedy and he subsequently became a great fan.

Likes Grelbr42 and BillTre
  • #10,626
Paul Dirac interview

Likes Astronuc, fresh_42 and collinsmark
  • #10,627
pinball1970 said:
Paul Dirac interview

I have a book. The elementary particles. Copyright: 1943.

Likes pinball1970
  • #10,628
Kansas farmers abandon wheat fields after extreme drought
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/kansas-farmers-abandon-wheat-fields-100000061.html
WICHITA, Kansas, May 22 (Reuters) - Farmers in Kansas, the biggest U.S. producer of wheat used to make bread, are abandoning their crops after a severe drought and damaging cold ravaged farms.

They are intentionally spraying wheat fields with crop-killing chemicals and claiming insurance payouts more than normal, betting the grain is not worth harvesting, Reuters found on a three-day tour of the state. Other growers are turning over dismal-looking fields to cattle for grazing.

Abandoning fields will lead to a smaller U.S. wheat supply in the world's No. 5 wheat exporter, with stocks seen falling to a 16-year low. High rates of abandonment deal an economic blow to farm towns and force wheat buyers to adjust procurement plans by buying the staple grain elsewhere.

Nationally, winter-wheat farmers plan to abandon 33% of the acres they planted, the highest percentage since World War I, the U.S. Department of Agriculture said in a May 12 report.

Kansas farmers are expected to abandon about 19% of the acres planted last autumn, up from 10% last year and 4% in 2021, according to the report. But farmers, grain traders and representatives of major food companies who traversed the state on an annual crop tour last week warn of an even greater percentage of unharvested acres.

• Wow
  • Informative
Likes pinball1970 and fresh_42
  • #10,629

Edge of Nowhere: Journey to Macquarie Island (Full Documentary) | TRACKS​

Macquarie Island is about 930 miles (1500 km) southeast of Tasmania. One gets there by boat.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macquarie_Island
https://whc.unesco.org/en/list/629/
The island is the exposed crest of the undersea Macquarie Ridge, raised to its present position where the Indo-Australian tectonic plate meets the Pacific plate. It is a site of major geoconservation significance, being the only place on earth where rocks from the earth’s mantle (6 km below the ocean floor) are being actively exposed above sea-level. These unique exposures include excellent examples of pillow basalts and other extrusive rocks.

• #10,630
Every tab everything working except YouTube. I was searching for SysInternals. Which I never had??

• #10,631
That you, Yoda ?

• #10,632
hmmm27 said:
That you, Yoda ?
No. Not quite l.

Everything working it was.
Searching the net I am.
SysInternals searching I was.
Owned never had did I.

• Haha
Likes DennisN and hmmm27
  • #10,633
hmmm27 said:
That you, Yoda ?
Star wars is stupid. Totally do not get it.

• #10,634
pinball1970 said:
Star wars is stupid. Totally do not get it.
Get it, totally I do not. Stupid it is.

• Haha
Likes DennisN and pinball1970
  • #10,636
FA cup, oldest football (soccer) competition in the world (1871) played on the 3rd June with an all Manchester final (Man U and Man C) for the first time in history.

• #10,637
Does anyone remember Catweazle? Germany made a movie 50 years after the series (26 episodes)!

• Love
Likes pinball1970
  • #10,638
fresh_42 said:
Does anyone remember Catweazle? Germany made a movie 50 years after the series (26 episodes)!
Yes. I guess many people of roughly my age from the UK would remember it. And I guess it was sold to a number of other countries, given that it was made on film rather than video tape, by "London Weekend International", a subsidiary of London Weekend Television.

1685388971681.png

Catweazle

Likes pinball1970
  • #10,639
DrGreg said:
Yes. I guess many people of roughly my age from the UK would remember it. And I guess it was sold to a number of other countries, given that it was made on film rather than video tape, by "London Weekend International", a subsidiary of London Weekend Television.

View attachment 327197
Catweazle
IIRC it was broadcast here in Germany on Sunday afternoons. And I still use the words "electric-trick" occasionally. Not sure whether this was due to translation or in the original script as well. I just found it interesting that they produced a movie 50 years later and still count on the fact that people will remember it. And there was only one choice for the lead actor, which they indeed have chosen.

• #10,640
fresh_42 said:
And I still use the words "electric-trick" occasionally. Not sure whether this was due to translation or in the original script as well.
I don't remember that, but I do remember "telling bone" for "telephone".