What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 756K views
And here is why you have to come to the airport long before your departure time ...

„กรุงเทพมหานคร อมรรัตนโกสินทร์ มหินทรายุธยามหาดิลก ภพนพรัตน์ราชธานีบุรีรมย์ อุดมราชนิเวศน์ มหาสถานอมรพิมาอวตารสถิต สักกะทัตติยะ วิษณุกรรมประสิทธิ์“

... in case Bangkok is your destination.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ibix said:
There's a long digression on this theme in one of the earlier Discworld books on this theme, explaining why the forest they are in is named Skund ("Your finger, you fool", in the local language) and mentioning the existence of a mountain named "who is this idiot who does not know what a mountain is".
This is how Canada was named. It actually means "village":
https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-heritage/services/origin-name-canada.html#a1 said:
The name “Canada” likely comes from the Huron-Iroquois word “kanata,” meaning “village” or “settlement.” In 1535, two Aboriginal youths told French explorer Jacques Cartier about the route to kanata; they were actually referring to the village of Stadacona, the site of the present-day City of Québec. For lack of another name, Cartier used the word “Canada” to describe not only the village, but the entire area controlled by its chief, Donnacona.
 
fresh_42 said:
I will never make fun of Welsh place names again. I just learned about a mountain called Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu.
There's a song about that:

 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42
I'm still unable to drink fluids to take care of a cold. Liquids, yes. Gases, not quite yet.
 
pinball1970 said:
FA cup, oldest football (soccer) competition in the world (1871) played on the 3rd June with an all Manchester final (Man U and Man C) for the first time in history.
In France, Marseille 1, nothing Tolouse.
 
Guns n'Roses changing it's name to attract the Math, Logician crowd: Guns if and only if Roses.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: jack action
What idiocy. This guy challenged me to a fight in the man's bathroom because I supposedly slammed the door while he was sitting on the stall, startling him.
 
  • Haha
  • Wow
Likes   Reactions: Astronuc and BillTre
A missing tourist submarine/submersible, and a whistleblower raised safety concerns.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/whistleblower-raised-safety-concerns-oceangate-190058533.html

It's safe as long as one does it right. Do it wrong, it's not so safe.

The director of marine operations at OceanGate, the company whose submersible went missing Sunday on an expedition to the Titanic in the North Atlantic, was fired after raising concerns about its first-of-a-kind carbon fiber hull and other systems before its maiden voyage, according to a filing in a 2018 lawsuit first reported by Insider and New Republic.

David Lochridge was terminated in January 2018 after presenting a scathing quality control report on the vessel to OceanGate’s senior management, including founder and CEO Stockton Rush, who is on board the missing vessel.

According to a court filing by Lochridge, the preamble to his report read: “Now is the time to properly address items that may pose a safety risk to personnel. Verbal communication of the key items I have addressed in my attached document have been dismissed on several occasions, so I feel now I must make this report so there is an official record in place.”

The report detailed “numerous issues that posed serious safety concerns,” according to the filing. These included Lochridge’s worry that “visible flaws” in the carbon fiber supplied to OceanGate raised the risk of small flaws expanding into larger tears during “pressure cycling.” These are the huge pressure changes that the submersible would experience as it made its way and from the deep ocean floor. He noted that a previously tested scale model of the hull had “prevalent flaws.”

Customers have to sign a waiver in order to go on a dive.

"This experimental vessel has not been approved or certified by any regulatory body, and could result in physical injury, emotional trauma, or death,” before adding, “Where do I sign?”
https://www.yahoo.com/news/missing-...escue-north-atlantic-oceangate-172526242.html

If the vehicle hasn't imploded, they have enough oxygen through Thursday morning.

Edit/updates:
Safety questions were raised about the vehicles in 2018, and the engineer who raised the safety concerns was fired.
https://apnews.com/article/titanic-...it-oceangate-0e5fc9a0313938fdf408b1459538d9ef

The vehicle was not certified/licensed by an appropriate authority.

Meanwhile,

Some banging noise has been detected in the area, but there is not pinging (supposed to happen every 15 minutes and no text messages, which may indicate loss of power.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/u...re-titanic-submarine-went-missing/ar-AA1cParz

https://www.yahoo.com/news/french-deep-diving-robot-dive-112136264.html

and

https://www.yahoo.com/news/british-rescue-mission-blocked-us-085743977.htmlEdit/update (06/22/2023) - US Coast Guard has found debris that appear to be from the OceanGate Titan Sub. It appears the Titan sub suffered a 'catastrophic imposltion'. The CG notified the families of the loss of all lives.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/titanic-...s-believed-dead-titan-recovery-190229608.html
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970
Borg said:
It's been found, imploded 1/3 of a mile from the Titanic.
I have heard that it was built with titan and carbon fibers. Sorry, but that is a failure waiting to happen. The two materials behave so differently in extreme environments that I'm surprised that people entered the vessel voluntarily at all.
 
fresh_42 said:
I have heard that it was built with titan and carbon fibers. Sorry, but that is a failure waiting to happen. The two materials behave so differently in extreme environments that I'm surprised that people entered the vessel voluntarily at all.
May be a fatigue thing, since it had done quite a few dives before? The effects of cycling through a high pressure salt water situation may not have been well enough studied. Just as the effect of pressurization cycles on aircraft was not well understood until the Comet jet liner accidents in the 1950s, which led to improvements in fuselage design.

One scenario could be that the pressure could drive salt water to permeate very gradually into the epoxy (?), then create a separation layer between the epoxy and the fibres. Or salt crystals / whiskers to form randomly in the material. That, compounded with mechanical cycling.
 
They reported in the news here that the owner answered to someone's concerns (no intensive tests, no emergency exit): "If you want absolute security, you have to stay in bed." They apparently knew the risks and accepted them. It is somehow macabre anyway to visit a wreck where so many people lost their lives as a tourist attraction.
 
I ran out of ketchup. Heinz. Spicy. But I had some sieved tomatoes so I made my own tomato sauce. I was shocked! It actually tasted like tomatoes!
 
Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto
AFAIK, no one in media has referred to the "-gate" in Oceangate. Maybe because it wouldn't be in the best of taste. But this episode will go down in history as the Oceangate tragedy.
 
What really sucks on SE and MO is that you cannot contact members privately. I have discovered a member there whose father was one of my professors. I would really like to ask him about his father although I assume he passed away already.
 
gmax137 said:
Signs I'm getting old?
StackExchange and (Math)Overflow.

Websites similar to ours that went over the counter for $1.8 bn.
 
  • Informative
Likes   Reactions: gmax137
That drives me around for a long. I think, I simply ask you. Why do you need two words for turtles? And one of them is even unpronounceable. We have ocean-turtles, land-turtles and swamp-turtles. That describes them perfectly. Do you even know the difference between a turtle and a tortoise? Tortoise? Sounds like trottoir.
 
fresh_42 said:
Do you even know the difference between a turtle and a tortoise?
Yes.

But what would a terrapin be???
The racing car of turtles.
 
My mother sometimes says, "We're off, like a turd of hurtles."
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
In a similar vein, I once intended to ask someone to pass the "tartar sauce", but accidentally swapped the vowel sounds.
 
Lack of symmetry in packing ? I need to send a luggage for someone who had asked me to.
They ask for width, height, depth. I get it. But why not just the 3 dimensions; either can be height, width depth.

And all are fast. I'm trying to save, so I'm willing to send it by ship, let it take weeks, yet they only offer
2-3 days. Confusingly, shipping includes sending things by truck, rail or plane. But there's no distinctive
term I'm aware of to send things by ....ship.
 
WWGD said:
Confusingly, shipping includes sending things by truck, rail or plane. But there's no distinctive
term I'm aware of to send things by ....ship.
And what's worse, cargo doesn't go by car.
 
All I could find was "ocean freight" or "sea freight"... but these may (?) imply containerized.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
Dang it's hot and humid here in Kansas today. At my place, it's 94°F with a humidity of 50%
 
  • Sad
Likes   Reactions: pinball1970
I grew up in Maryland (north of Virginia).
95˚ and 95% humidity were not uncommon.