What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #10,641

Paralyzed man walks after bluetooth connects his brain and spine​

:oops:

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #10,642
Just thought of this:

Why fear AI spreading false news on forums and social media? When we are discussing with someone and we are in doubt our interlocutor is a chatbot, all we have to do is ask this person to identify all the traffic lights in a picture.

Boom! End of times averted.

• Informative
Likes BillTre
  • #10,643
Eating healthfully -

Sick workers tied to 40% of restaurant food poisoning outbreaks, CDC says​

https://www.yahoo.com/news/sick-workers-tied-40-restaurant-171843478.html
Food workers who showed up while sick or contagious were linked to about 40% of restaurant food poisoning outbreaks with a known cause between 2017 and 2019, federal health officials said Tuesday.

Norovirus and salmonella, germs that can cause severe illness, were the most common cause of 800 outbreaks, which encompassed 875 restaurants and were reported by 25 state and local health departments.

Investigators with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention called for better enforcement of “comprehensive food safety policies,” which emphasize basic measures like hand washing and keep sick workers off the job.

Although 85% of restaurants said they had policies restricting staff from working while sick, only about 16% of the policies were detailed enough . . . .

It's Not Just Salt, Sugar, Fat: Study Finds Ultra-Processed Foods Drive Weight Gain​

Over the past 70 years, ultra-processed foods have come to dominate the U.S. diet. These are foods made from cheap industrial ingredients and engineered to be super-tasty and generally high in fat, sugar and salt.

The rise of ultra-processed foods has coincided with growing rates of obesity, leading many to suspect that they've played a big role in our growing waistlines. But is it something about the highly processed nature of these foods itself that drives people to overeat? A new study suggests the answer is yes.

The study, conducted by researchers at the National Institutes of Health, is the first randomized, controlled trial to show that eating a diet made up of ultra-processed foods actually drives people to overeat and gain weight compared with a diet made up of whole or minimally processed foods. . . . .

Likes collinsmark
  • #10,644

Likes jack action, pinball1970 and Astronuc
  • #10,646
Astronuc said:
Don't fall off a ship in the middle of the ocean.
That seems like the #1 tip...

Likes BillTre and pinball1970
  • #10,647
Mike Markkula, Apple's Lesser-Known Co-Founder Owned ⅓ Of The Company But Missed Out On A Potential $900 Billion Fortune (Benzinga)
https://www.benzinga.com/news/23/06...-missed-out-on-a-potential-900-billion-fortun

Armed with bachelor’s and master’s degrees in electrical engineering from the University of Southern California, this Trojan brother was already well-versed in the intricacies of the field. Markkula’s career at Fairchild Semiconductor International Inc. and Intel Corp., where he retired as a millionaire at the young age of 32, showcased his deep understanding of the tech landscape.

His $250,000 investment, a combination of loans and equity, solidified his position as the second CEO, third employee and a significant one-third owner of the budding company. In 2023, a one-third stake in Apple would be worth about $900 billion.
Current capitalization as of yesterday is $2.846T, and 1/3 would be ~$948 billion.

• Wow
Likes phinds, BillTre and gmax137
  • #10,648
I will never make fun of Welsh place names again. I just learned about a mountain called Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu.

Likes Astronuc, AlexB23, Ibix and 1 other person
  • #10,649
fresh_42 said:
I will never make fun of Welsh place names again. I just learned about a mountain called Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu.

Literal translation : "We just call it 'the mountain', why would we call it anything else ; also, you're standing in quicksand... again."

• Haha
Likes Tom.G, Astronuc, phinds and 2 others
  • #10,650
hmmm27 said:
Literal translation : "We just call it 'the mountain', why would we call it anything else ; also, you're standing in quicksand... again."
There's a long digression on this theme in one of the earlier Discworld books on this theme, explaining why the forest they are in is named Skund ("Your finger, you fool", in the local language) and mentioning the existence of a mountain named "who is this idiot who does not know what a mountain is".

This one actually just seems to be an extremely specific descriptor (rather like the long Welsh one, in fact). See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tauma...kakapikimaunga­horonukupokaiwhen­uakitanatahu.

• #10,651
And here is why you have to come to the airport long before your departure time ...

„กรุงเทพมหานคร อมรรัตนโกสินทร์ มหินทรายุธยามหาดิลก ภพนพรัตน์ราชธานีบุรีรมย์ อุดมราชนิเวศน์ มหาสถานอมรพิมาอวตารสถิต สักกะทัตติยะ วิษณุกรรมประสิทธิ์“

... in case Bangkok is your destination.

• #10,652
Ibix said:
There's a long digression on this theme in one of the earlier Discworld books on this theme, explaining why the forest they are in is named Skund ("Your finger, you fool", in the local language) and mentioning the existence of a mountain named "who is this idiot who does not know what a mountain is".
This is how Canada was named. It actually means "village":
https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-heritage/services/origin-name-canada.html#a1 said:
The name “Canada” likely comes from the Huron-Iroquois word “kanata,” meaning “village” or “settlement.” In 1535, two Aboriginal youths told French explorer Jacques Cartier about the route to kanata; they were actually referring to the village of Stadacona, the site of the present-day City of Québec. For lack of another name, Cartier used the word “Canada” to describe not only the village, but the entire area controlled by its chief, Donnacona.

• #10,653
fresh_42 said:
There's a song about that:

Likes fresh_42
  • #10,654
I'm still unable to drink fluids to take care of a cold. Liquids, yes. Gases, not quite yet.

• #10,655
pinball1970 said:
FA cup, oldest football (soccer) competition in the world (1871) played on the 3rd June with an all Manchester final (Man U and Man C) for the first time in history.
In France, Marseille 1, nothing Tolouse.

• #10,656
Guns n'Roses changing it's name to attract the Math, Logician crowd: Guns if and only if Roses.

Likes jack action
  • #10,657
What idiocy. This guy challenged me to a fight in the man's bathroom because I supposedly slammed the door while he was sitting on the stall, startling him.

• Haha
  • Wow
Likes Astronuc and BillTre
  • #10,658
A missing tourist submarine/submersible, and a whistleblower raised safety concerns.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/whistleblower-raised-safety-concerns-oceangate-190058533.html

It's safe as long as one does it right. Do it wrong, it's not so safe.

The director of marine operations at OceanGate, the company whose submersible went missing Sunday on an expedition to the Titanic in the North Atlantic, was fired after raising concerns about its first-of-a-kind carbon fiber hull and other systems before its maiden voyage, according to a filing in a 2018 lawsuit first reported by Insider and New Republic.

David Lochridge was terminated in January 2018 after presenting a scathing quality control report on the vessel to OceanGate’s senior management, including founder and CEO Stockton Rush, who is on board the missing vessel.

According to a court filing by Lochridge, the preamble to his report read: “Now is the time to properly address items that may pose a safety risk to personnel. Verbal communication of the key items I have addressed in my attached document have been dismissed on several occasions, so I feel now I must make this report so there is an official record in place.”

The report detailed “numerous issues that posed serious safety concerns,” according to the filing. These included Lochridge’s worry that “visible flaws” in the carbon fiber supplied to OceanGate raised the risk of small flaws expanding into larger tears during “pressure cycling.” These are the huge pressure changes that the submersible would experience as it made its way and from the deep ocean floor. He noted that a previously tested scale model of the hull had “prevalent flaws.”

Customers have to sign a waiver in order to go on a dive.

"This experimental vessel has not been approved or certified by any regulatory body, and could result in physical injury, emotional trauma, or death,” before adding, Where do I sign?”
https://www.yahoo.com/news/missing-...escue-north-atlantic-oceangate-172526242.html

If the vehicle hasn't imploded, they have enough oxygen through Thursday morning.

Edit/updates:
Safety questions were raised about the vehicles in 2018, and the engineer who raised the safety concerns was fired.
https://apnews.com/article/titanic-...it-oceangate-0e5fc9a0313938fdf408b1459538d9ef

The vehicle was not certified/licensed by an appropriate authority.

Meanwhile,

Some banging noise has been detected in the area, but there is not pinging (supposed to happen every 15 minutes and no text messages, which may indicate loss of power.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/u...re-titanic-submarine-went-missing/ar-AA1cParz

https://www.yahoo.com/news/french-deep-diving-robot-dive-112136264.html

and

https://www.yahoo.com/news/british-rescue-mission-blocked-us-085743977.htmlEdit/update (06/22/2023) - US Coast Guard has found debris that appear to be from the OceanGate Titan Sub. It appears the Titan sub suffered a 'catastrophic imposltion'. The CG notified the families of the loss of all lives.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/titanic-...s-believed-dead-titan-recovery-190229608.html

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970
  • #10,659
It's been found, imploded 1/3 of a mile from the Titanic.

• #10,660
Borg said:
It's been found, imploded 1/3 of a mile from the Titanic.
I have heard that it was built with titan and carbon fibers. Sorry, but that is a failure waiting to happen. The two materials behave so differently in extreme environments that I'm surprised that people entered the vessel voluntarily at all.

• #10,661
fresh_42 said:
I have heard that it was built with titan and carbon fibers. Sorry, but that is a failure waiting to happen. The two materials behave so differently in extreme environments that I'm surprised that people entered the vessel voluntarily at all.
May be a fatigue thing, since it had done quite a few dives before? The effects of cycling through a high pressure salt water situation may not have been well enough studied. Just as the effect of pressurization cycles on aircraft was not well understood until the Comet jet liner accidents in the 1950s, which led to improvements in fuselage design.

One scenario could be that the pressure could drive salt water to permeate very gradually into the epoxy (?), then create a separation layer between the epoxy and the fibres. Or salt crystals / whiskers to form randomly in the material. That, compounded with mechanical cycling.

• #10,662
They reported in the news here that the owner answered to someone's concerns (no intensive tests, no emergency exit): "If you want absolute security, you have to stay in bed." They apparently knew the risks and accepted them. It is somehow macabre anyway to visit a wreck where so many people lost their lives as a tourist attraction.

• #10,665
I ran out of ketchup. Heinz. Spicy. But I had some sieved tomatoes so I made my own tomato sauce. I was shocked! It actually tasted like tomatoes!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Likes OmCheeto
  • #10,666
AFAIK, no one in media has referred to the "-gate" in Oceangate. Maybe because it wouldn't be in the best of taste. But this episode will go down in history as the Oceangate tragedy.

• #10,667
What really sucks on SE and MO is that you cannot contact members privately. I have discovered a member there whose father was one of my professors. I would really like to ask him about his father although I assume he passed away already.

• #10,668
fresh_42 said:
SE and MO

Signs I'm getting old?

• #10,669
gmax137 said:
Signs I'm getting old?
StackExchange and (Math)Overflow.

Websites similar to ours that went over the counter for $1.8 bn.

• Informative
Likes gmax137
  • #10,670
That drives me around for a long. I think, I simply ask you. Why do you need two words for turtles? And one of them is even unpronounceable. We have ocean-turtles, land-turtles and swamp-turtles. That describes them perfectly. Do you even know the difference between a turtle and a tortoise? Tortoise? Sounds like trottoir.

• #10,671
fresh_42 said:
Do you even know the difference between a turtle and a tortoise?
Yes.

But what would a terrapin be???
The racing car of turtles.

• #10,672
My mother sometimes says, "We're off, like a turd of hurtles."

• Haha
Likes BillTre
  • #10,673
In a similar vein, I once intended to ask someone to pass the "tartar sauce", but accidentally swapped the vowel sounds.

• #10,674
Lack of symmetry in packing ? I need to send a luggage for someone who had asked me to.
They ask for width, height, depth. I get it. But why not just the 3 dimensions; either can be height, width depth.

And all are fast. I'm trying to save, so I'm willing to send it by ship, let it take weeks, yet they only offer
2-3 days. Confusingly, shipping includes sending things by truck, rail or plane. But there's no distinctive
term I'm aware of to send things by ....ship.

• #10,675
WWGD said:
Confusingly, shipping includes sending things by truck, rail or plane. But there's no distinctive
term I'm aware of to send things by ....ship.
And what's worse, cargo doesn't go by car.