1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Range of Left Multiplication Matrix

1. Dec 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider the left multiplication L_A:R^4->R^3 corresponding the matrix A:

1 2 -1 3 = 2
    2 4 -1 6 = 5
    0 1 0 2 = 3

What is the rank of L_A and the Range of L_a?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have two main problems with this question. First, what is the left multiplication? I can't seem to find it anywhere and the prof said that we should know it from previous classes, but I have never heard of the left multiplication. Secondly, I understand that that the Range is supposed to be the solution space for Ax=B: is that correct?
    Thank you so much for your help in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 5, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Why are the = signs in there?

This is A.
    1 2 -1 3
    2 4 -1 6
    0 1 0 2
    Edit: L_A is a transformation whose matrix representation is A. L_A takes a vector in R4 as input, and produces a vector in R3.

The transformation L_A corresponds to A times a vector. Here A is on the left.

No. In the equation Ax = b, the range of A is the set {b | b = Ax}

Capital letters are usually used to represent matrices, and lower case letters are usually used to represent vectors.

4. Dec 5, 2012 #3
    Oh, I see. Thank you. So for the Range, because they give you what the system of equations equals, would that be your b? or would you solve for Ax=b where b is, say, (x,y,z)?
    Thanks again.

5. Dec 5, 2012 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Your problem statement isn't very clear. Are they asking whether <2, 5, 3>T is in the range of L_A?

Or are they asking what is the range of L_A?

Your notation is confusing, because in your first equation x is a vector, while in b, x is the first component.

To find the range, write the matrix equation Ax = b as an augmented matrix like so: [A | b], where b = <b1, b2, b3>T. Then row-reduce this augmented matrix. What you're finding is that for any vector b, is there a vector x such that Ax = b?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook