1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Show that a matrix has a right inverse

1. Apr 2, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let ##A## be an ##m \times n## matrix with rank ##m##. Prove that there exists an ##n \times m## matrix ##B## such that ##AB= I_m##

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    So here is how far I get. I am given that ##A## has rank ##m##. Since ##L_A(x) = Ax## is a map ##\mathbb{R}^n \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^m##, this means that ##L_A## is a surjective map.
    I know that in set theory, surjective maps must have right-inverses, so I get the sense that I am on the right track. But I am not sure how to continue the proof.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 3, 2017 #2
    You should be more precise in your expression. The fact that you have a map ##\mathbb R^n\to\mathbb R^m ## doesn't imply it's surjective.

What do we know about ##m, n ##? Right iverses certainly exist [in fact, there's a whole family of such right inverses] when there are more columns than rows and the matrix ##A## has a full row rank.

The Rank-Nullity theorem provides a solution.

4. Apr 3, 2017 #3
    The Rank-Nullity theorem seems to tell me that ##\text{nullity}(A) = n-m>0##. But I don't see how this helps me

5. Apr 3, 2017 #4

StoneTemplePython

Gold Member

my general approach is to make use of orthogonality for these things -- it is a much cleaner cut than general linear independence. Since we are in reals, consider using gram-schmidt and get:

##\mathbf A = \mathbf{T V}^T##

(this is an atypical factorization but one I used in another of your threads recently), or more typically:

##\mathbf A^T = \mathbf{Q R}##, hence ##\mathbf A = \Big(\mathbf R^T \mathbf Q^T \Big)##.

Where ##\mathbf Q## is orthogonal, but not full rank (it is n x m) and ##\mathbf R## is square m x m matrix.

What happens if you multiply

##\Big( \mathbf R^T \mathbf Q^T\Big) \Big(\mathbf Q\Big) = \mathbf R^T \big(\mathbf Q^T \mathbf Q\big) = \mathbf R^T##. So we need to be able to invert ##\mathbf R^T##... how do I know that ##\mathbf R^T## is invertible?

You could also use Singular Value Decomposition to get this.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted