Range of the gravitational field

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of escape velocity and its relationship to the gravitational field of the Earth. The equation 2gh = vf^2 - vi^2 is used to determine the height of an object launched with escape velocity, with the result being equal to the radius of the Earth. However, it is argued that the concept of something "leaving" the gravitational field is not entirely accurate, as the gravitational force extends infinitely and an object will never truly escape it. This is due to the use of the simplified gravitational potential in the equation, which is only valid for objects with small distances from the center of the Earth.
mars shaw
When a body is fired upward with escape V (i.e 11.2 km/s) then what will be the height when the body leaves the gravitational field?
I found by using formula
2gh=Vf^2 - Vi^2 keeping vf= 0 and vi=11200m/s then I got h=6400km= radius of the earth.
Is it range of the gravitational field?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am interested in the answer to this as the way I see it, it escapes as soon as it is fired if it is fired with 'escape velocity'
I don't see that there is a real answer to the question as it is never completely out of the gravitational field, it's just a diminishing relationship of gravity versus velocity, and the balance is determined right from the very start as being in favour of the projectile, and although the velocity of the projectile and gravitational pull from the planet both decrease with time (or distance away form the planet) and don't ever reach zero, the balance of 'power' doesn't change from t=0. Just my view on it, looking forward to somebody providing a better answer.

Molydood is right, the range of the gravitational force is infinite. Therefore, it is technically never correct to say something "leaves" the gravitational field, even if it is launched with escape velocity. Escape velocity simply means that the object will never stop moving, i.e, will never fall back towards the Earth, in this case. That is, the total energy of the body will always be positive (K+U > 0 for all time).

Now, let's see about your equation. You have:
[tex]2gh=v_f^2-v_i^2[/tex]
Now, you're obviously using the gravitational potential of the Earth in the h<< radius of Earth approximation. This works fine for throwing up balls and such, but is certainly incorrect for an object with escape velocity. In the cases where the distance from the center of the Earth is comparable to the radius of the earth, you need to use the full Newtonian potential:
[tex]U=-\frac{GMm}{r}[/tex]

I won't go through any more of the treatment of the escape velocity problem, but you can see that while this potential goes to zero as r approaches infinity, it is NEVER zero. Therefore, an object will never leave the gravitational field of the earth, no matter what velocity it initially has.

What is the definition of "range of the gravitational field"?

The range of the gravitational field refers to the maximum distance at which the force of gravity can act between two objects. It is determined by the strength of the gravitational force and the masses of the objects involved.

How is the range of the gravitational field calculated?

The range of the gravitational field is calculated using the inverse square law, which states that the force of gravity decreases as the square of the distance between two objects increases. This means that the range of the gravitational field is directly proportional to the strength of the gravitational force and inversely proportional to the mass of the objects.

What factors affect the range of the gravitational field?

The main factor that affects the range of the gravitational field is the mass of the objects involved. The greater the mass of the objects, the stronger the gravitational force and the longer the range of the gravitational field. Other factors such as the presence of other objects and the curvature of spacetime can also affect the range of the gravitational field.

Can the range of the gravitational field be infinite?

No, the range of the gravitational field cannot be infinite. According to the theory of general relativity, the speed of gravity is limited by the speed of light. This means that the range of the gravitational field is also limited and cannot extend infinitely.

How does the range of the gravitational field relate to the size of the universe?

The range of the gravitational field is much smaller than the size of the observable universe. This is because the size of the universe is constantly expanding, while the range of the gravitational field remains constant. However, the gravitational force can still act over very large distances, as seen in the interactions between galaxies and clusters of galaxies.