Range of wavelengths from a laser pulse?

In summary, the range of wavelengths in a 0.3 um long pulse of approximately 600nm laser light is approximately 95nm. This is found by using calculus to relate the variations in frequency and wavelength, and solving for the change in wavelength using the uncertainty principle.
hb1547

Homework Statement

"A 1 fs pulse of laser light would be 0.3 um long. What is the range of wavelengths in a 0.3 um long pulse of (approximately) 600nm laser light?"

Homework Equations

(delta omega)(delta t) >= 1/2
c = (lambda)(frequency)

The Attempt at a Solution

I replaced (delta omega) with 2*Pi*(Delta F), which I then replaced with 2*Pi*c/(Delta Lambda).

Then, solving for (Delta Lambda), I got:

Delta lambda = 4*Pi*c*(delta T).

This gives me 3.77*10^(-6) m, which is 3.77 um.

However the book claims the answer is 95 nm... I'm not really getting what I did wrong? Is this completely the wrong approach?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to use some calculus to relate the variations. If

[tex]f = \frac{c}{\lambda},[/tex]

then

[tex]\delta f = - \frac{c}{\lambda^2} \delta \lambda.[/tex]

You can deal with the minus sign by computing absolute values.

Hmm, so I gave that a try:

[tex]\Delta \omega \Delta t \geq \frac{1}{2}[/tex]

[tex]\delta (\omega )= \delta ( 2 \pi f)[/tex]

[tex]\delta \omega = 2 \pi \frac{-c}{\lambda^2} \delta \lambda[/tex]

Then, if I solve that for d(lambda), and plug everything in, I get about .95 um, which is an order of magnitude higher than what I wanted. Did I miss a power of 10 somewhere, or is that just a coincidence?

I found

( 600 10-9 m)2/(4 pi (3 108 m/s) (10-15 s) ) = 95nm

hmmm and this time I did get that, I must've plugged it into Mathematica wrong.

Thank you for your help! :]

What is the range of wavelengths from a laser pulse?

The range of wavelengths from a laser pulse can vary depending on the type of laser being used. Generally, the range can be anywhere from the ultraviolet (UV) region, with wavelengths between 100-400 nanometers, to the infrared (IR) region, with wavelengths between 700-1000 nanometers.

Why is the range of wavelengths important in laser technology?

The range of wavelengths is important in laser technology because it determines the properties and characteristics of the laser beam. Different wavelengths have different levels of energy, which can affect the laser's ability to cut, engrave, or perform other functions. The range of wavelengths also determines the laser's interaction with different materials.

How is the range of wavelengths determined in a laser pulse?

The range of wavelengths in a laser pulse is determined by the type of lasing medium used in the laser. Different materials have different energy levels and can produce different wavelengths of light. Additionally, the laser's design and technology can also play a role in determining the range of wavelengths in a laser pulse.

Can the range of wavelengths in a laser pulse be adjusted?

Yes, the range of wavelengths in a laser pulse can be adjusted by changing the lasing medium, altering the design or technology of the laser, or using filters to manipulate the wavelengths. This allows for more versatility in laser applications and can be beneficial in various industries such as medicine, manufacturing, and communications.

What are the practical applications of different ranges of wavelengths in a laser pulse?

The practical applications of different ranges of wavelengths in a laser pulse are vast and diverse. For example, UV lasers are commonly used in medical procedures such as eye surgeries, while IR lasers are used in telecommunications and material processing. The ability to adjust the range of wavelengths also allows for more precise and efficient tasks, such as laser cutting and welding in manufacturing processes.