Rank of a Matrix and whether the columns span R12

In summary, the matrix M is a 12 x 7 coefficient homogeneous matrix with a unique solution of 0 = (0, ..., 0) in ℝ7. The possible rank of M can range from 0 to 7. The columns of M, considered as vectors in ℝ12, cannot span all of ℝ12 as there are only 7 columns, which is not enough to span ℝ12. Therefore, the answer to the first question is that the rank of M is 7, and the answer to the second question is that the columns of M cannot span ℝ12.
testme

Homework Statement

Let M be the 12 x 7 coefficient matrix of a homogeneous linear system, and suppose that this system has the unique solution 0 = (0, ..., 0) [itex]\in[/itex] ℝ7.

1. What is the rank of M.
2. Do the columns of M, considered as vectors in ℝ12, span ℝ12.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. Well since the matrix is a homogeneous matrix the rank of M can be from 0 [itex]\leq[/itex] rankM [itex]\leq[/itex] 7.

so then rank has a rank of 7 I believe

2. I'm not sure how to solve this but if the solution is in ℝ7 does that automatically mean the vectors can't span ℝ12 and aside from that a set of all 0s can't span ℝ7 can it?

Physics news on Phys.org
By 12 x 7 I believe you mean column x row in this case? I ask this because if you had it the other way around, your zero vector would be in ℝ12 not ℝ7.

No, my professor does it 12 x 7, row x column (I thought that's the norm way of doing it?)

Maybe the ℝ7 is a typo by the professor and it should be ℝ12

I'm not completely sure.

testme said:
2. Do the columns of M, considered as vectors in R12, span R12.

2. I'm not sure how to solve this but if the solution is in R7 does that automatically mean the vectors can't span R12 and aside from that a set of all 0s can't span R7 can it?
This question is asking about the columns of the matrix, not the solutions. The columns are in R12 and there are seven of them, so could the columns span R12. Hint: how many vectors does it take to span R3? R3?

Mark44 said:
This question is asking about the columns of the matrix, not the solutions. The columns are in R12 and there are seven of them, so could the columns span R12. Hint: how many vectors does it take to span R3? R3?
So then if I'm not mistaken since there are only 7 columns (or 7 vectors) and there must be a minimum of n vectors to span ℝn 7 vectors can't span all of ℝ12. So the answer is no.

As for the first one would I be correct to say that the rank is then 7?

What is the rank of a matrix?

The rank of a matrix refers to the maximum number of linearly independent rows or columns in the matrix. It is also equal to the number of non-zero rows or columns in its reduced row echelon form.

How is the rank of a matrix calculated?

The rank of a matrix can be calculated by performing row operations to reduce the matrix to its reduced row echelon form and then counting the number of non-zero rows or columns. Alternatively, it can also be calculated by finding the number of linearly independent rows or columns in the matrix.

What does it mean for the columns of a matrix to span R12?

A matrix with n columns is said to span R12 if its columns can be combined to form any vector in R12. This means that the linear combination of the columns can produce any vector in the 12-dimensional space.

How can I determine if the columns of a matrix span R12?

A matrix's columns span R12 if and only if the rank of the matrix is equal to 12. This means that the number of linearly independent columns in the matrix is equal to 12, allowing for the formation of any vector in R12.

Why is the rank of a matrix important?

The rank of a matrix is important because it provides information about the linear independence of its rows or columns. It is also useful in solving systems of linear equations, determining the dimension of a vector space, and finding the inverse of a matrix.