Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rankine Cycle with Reheat+Regen

1. Oct 9, 2010 #1
    Hello, I'm working on designing a rankine cycle steam power plant for a class and am trying to incorporate both reheat and a direct contact feedwater heater for regen. I've attempted to read up on this online but beyond some basic information it's hard to find anything. My question is should I bleed the high pressure or the low pressure turbine for the FWH, or if it depends, what does it depend on? I hope this wasn't too dumb of a question, and thanks for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2010 #2
    Diagrams in my notes tend to all show steam being bled from the L.P turbines at the end - they don't explain why this is, unfortunately.

Easy answer, it probably doesn't matter. You're taking x amount of heat out of the cycle at the turbine stage, and putting it back in to the feed heaters either way so I can't see the results verying. The only thing I can see it depending on is the efficiencies of the turbines.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook