Raspberry Pi bluetooth audio problem after upgrade

In summary, the Raspberry Pi 3 with the Raspberry OS has trouble with Bluetooth audio. After upgrading, the Bluetooth service became active and worked fine at first, but then the speaker icon in the lower right was greyed out. Right clicking on the speaker icon showed the "mute" box checked and volume at zero, which was impossible to change. After searching the internet, it was discovered that the command "systemctl status bluetooth" can give some clues about the state of Bluetooth. The first line shows that the Bluetooth service is loaded and the second line shows that the Bluetooth device named "fd2" is ready. However, when trying to get io data for the "Headset Voice gateway" it showed that the host is down
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
TL;DR Summary
After an update & upgrade, the Pi is still able to pair with bluetooth audio devices BUT now the volume button and slider are disabled. No audio.
Raspberry Pi 3 with Raspberry OS...

Recently did apt-get update and upgrade. It did an upgrade of the desktop after asking for permission to replace the file piwiz.desktop. It then ran a wizard to redo various options and preferences, including WiFi and password (which I had set up initially on first running the OS).

Now I can't use bluetooth audio. I can pair a speaker or headphone as before, but the speaker icon in the lower right is greyed out. I can right click and select my device from the list of audio devices. It goes through without error. But the speaker icon is still greyed out.

If I click on the speaker icon it shows the "mute" box checked and volume at zero, which I can't change. If I hover over the speaker icon it pops up "no volume control on this device".

I found this command on the internet that is supposed to give some clues:

Code:
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ systemctl status bluetooth
● bluetooth.service - Bluetooth service
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/bluetooth.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Wed 2020-12-09 14:46:56 IST; 38min ago
     Docs: man:bluetoothd(8)
Main PID: 627 (bluetoothd)
    Tasks: 1 (limit: 2063)
   CGroup: /system.slice/bluetooth.service
           └─627 /usr/lib/bluetooth/bluetoothd

Dec 09 14:48:41 raspberrypi bluetoothd[627]: /org/bluez/hci0/dev_5A_5A_52_A6_01_64/fd2: fd(26) ready
Dec 09 14:49:01 raspberrypi bluetoothd[627]: Unable to get io data for Headset Voice gateway: getpeername: Transport endpoint is not connected (107)
Dec 09 14:49:22 raspberrypi bluetoothd[627]: /org/bluez/hci0/dev_5A_5A_52_A6_01_64/fd3: fd(26) ready
Dec 09 14:50:19 raspberrypi bluetoothd[627]: /org/bluez/hci0/dev_5A_5A_52_A6_01_64/fd4: fd(26) ready
Dec 09 14:58:06 raspberrypi bluetoothd[627]: Unable to get io data for Headset Voice gateway: getpeername: Transport endpoint is not connected (107)
Dec 09 14:58:51 raspberrypi bluetoothd[627]: /org/bluez/hci0/dev_5A_5A_52_A6_01_64/fd5: fd(26) ready
Dec 09 14:59:50 raspberrypi bluetoothd[627]: Unable to get io data for Headset Voice gateway: getpeername: Transport endpoint is not connected (107)
Dec 09 15:00:23 raspberrypi bluetoothd[627]: Unable to get Headset Voice gateway SDP record: Host is down
Dec 09 15:00:43 raspberrypi bluetoothd[627]: /org/bluez/hci0/dev_18_48_59_3C_60_20/fd6: fd(24) ready
Dec 09 15:13:27 raspberrypi bluetoothd[627]: /org/bluez/hci0/dev_5A_5A_52_A6_01_64/fd8: fd(26) ready

Any suggestions on fixing this?

Computer science news on Phys.org
OK, a subsequent upgrade has fixed the problem.

Likes berkeman

1. What is a Raspberry Pi?

A Raspberry Pi is a small, low-cost, single-board computer that can be used for a variety of projects and applications.

2. What is the purpose of Bluetooth on a Raspberry Pi?

Bluetooth on a Raspberry Pi allows for wireless connectivity to other devices, such as speakers or headphones, for audio playback or data transfer.

3. What kind of audio problems can occur after upgrading a Raspberry Pi?

Some common audio problems after upgrading a Raspberry Pi may include static or distorted sound, or no sound at all.

4. How can I troubleshoot audio problems on my Raspberry Pi?

First, make sure all audio connections are secure and the volume is turned up. Next, check the Bluetooth settings to ensure the device is properly paired. If the problem persists, try restarting the Raspberry Pi or updating the software.

5. How can I prevent audio problems after upgrading my Raspberry Pi?

To prevent audio problems after upgrading, always make sure to follow the proper steps for updating the software. It may also help to use high-quality audio cables and properly configure the audio settings on the Raspberry Pi.