Rate of change of area of a square with respect to its perimeter

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of "Rate of change of area of a square with respect to its side length" and how it is equal to half of its perimeter. The conversation also mentions the difficulty in visualizing this concept and asks for an explanation on why this is true geometrically. The solution is shown algebraically by comparing the area and perimeter formulas for a square with a small change in side length.
a_skier
oops I meant "Rate of change of area of a square with respect to its side length"

Ok I have to use this annoying Stewart textbook for my Calc class in college. Most of the questions require what I like to call "Monkey Math," where you just memorize a set of steps and then follow them rigidly for each and every problem.

However, this problem I found has me really thinking, here it is:

Show that the rate of change of the area of a square with respect to its side length is half its perimeter. Try to explain geometrically why this is true.

So I can easily "show" why this is true.

A(x)=x2
A'(x)=2x

P(x)=4x

so (A'(x))/P(x)=1/2

But I am drawing this out on my white board and I can't conceptually understand why the rate of change of the area would be 1/2 the perimeter at the exact same moment...

I can understand why this is true algebraically, but I guess I can't visualize what the derivative of a geometric shape's area is.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a square

Draw a slightly larger square with the smaller square nestled in one corner.

The change in area is the two rectangles above and next to the smaller square, plus the reeeaaally tiny square nestled in the opposite corner.

If the larger square has side length [itex] x + \Delta x[/itex], find the area of those rectangles and squares in terms of x and [itex] \Delta x[/itex]

1. What is the formula for calculating the rate of change of area of a square with respect to its perimeter?

The formula for calculating the rate of change of area of a square with respect to its perimeter is given by dA/dP = 1/4, where dA is the change in area and dP is the change in perimeter.

2. How is the rate of change of area of a square with respect to its perimeter related to the square's side length?

The rate of change of area of a square with respect to its perimeter is directly proportional to the square's side length. This means that as the side length of the square increases, the rate of change of area also increases.

3. Can the rate of change of area of a square with respect to its perimeter ever be negative?

No, the rate of change of area of a square with respect to its perimeter can never be negative. This is because both the area and perimeter of a square are always positive values, and the rate of change is calculated using positive values.

4. How can the rate of change of area of a square with respect to its perimeter be used in real-world applications?

The rate of change of area of a square with respect to its perimeter can be used in various real-world applications, such as in construction and engineering. It can help determine the optimal dimensions for a square structure, as well as the amount of material needed for its construction.

5. Is the rate of change of area of a square with respect to its perimeter the same for all squares?

Yes, the rate of change of area of a square with respect to its perimeter is the same for all squares. This is because the relationship between the area and perimeter of a square is constant, regardless of the size or dimensions of the square.