Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Rate of change of area under curve f(x) = f(x)

1. Jan 2, 2018 #1
    What lead to the equality of the, rate of change of area under curve f(x) = f(x).

Was it, they were just compared(OR believed to be equal) and mathematically found to be equal. Or when one was integrated or differentiated the other appeared.

Also I knew, integration was being used since Archimeded and Greeks times.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 2, 2018 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you take a function at a point ##f(x_0)##. That's the height of the curve at that point. The area between this and another point a short distance to the right is approximately a rectangle of width ##\Delta x##, hence of area ##\Delta A \approx f(x_0) \Delta x##.

And the rate of change of area is approximately ##\frac{\Delta A}{\Delta x} \approx f(x_0)##

Using calculus makes this exact, but intuitively the rate of change of area under the curve is simply the height of the curve at that point.

4. Jan 2, 2018 #3
    It look so easy, how is it that only calculus make it possible later , the relation between integration and differentiation.

5. Jan 2, 2018 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think it is relatively easy to see. But, calculus is needed to prove it formally and also to put conditions on the function involved - in this case, for example, that the function ##f## is continuous is sufficient. It's not so easy to see intuitively that it works for every continuous function, as some continuous functions are very strange indeed.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted