Rate of change of the area of the rebgion

In summary: Use the Pythagorean theorem.)In summary, the problem involves a board 5 feet long sliding down a wall, with one end moving down at a constant rate of 2 feet per second. The question asks for the rate of change of the area of the triangle formed by the board, the ground, and the wall, at the moment when the bottom end is 4 feet from the wall. To solve this, we can use the formula for the area of a triangle, A = 1/2 * base * height, and apply the product rule to the derivative. We also need to consider the relationship between the base and height of the triangle, which is given by the Pythagorean theorem.
fifaking7

Homework Statement

A board 5 feet long slides down a wall. at the instant the bottom end is 4 feet from the wall, the other end is moving down the wall the rate of 2 feet per second.at that moment how fast is the area of the region between the board, the ground and the wall changing?

Homework Equations

a=1/2bh

The Attempt at a Solution

x^2 + 4^2= 5^2
x=3
da/dt= 1/2b(db/dt)(dh/dt)

I think i started it up wrong and I don't know where to go next..

Physics news on Phys.org
fifaking7 said:

Homework Statement

A board 5 feet long slides down a wall. at the instant the bottom end is 4 feet from the wall, the other end is moving down the wall the rate of 2 feet per second.at that moment how fast is the area of the region between the board, the ground and the wall changing?

Homework Equations

a=1/2bh

The Attempt at a Solution

x^2 + 4^2= 5^2
x=3

I think i started it up wrong and I don't know where to go next..
What is the shape of the region below the board and above the ground at the moment under consideration?

just a normal triangle drawn on a line like a typical triangle leaning against a wall problem.

Neither end of the board is touching the ground, so it's not a triangle.

fifaking7 said:

Homework Equations

a=1/2bh

Have another look at that derivative. It looks like the product rule hasn't been applied properly. Also one of those b/h is x. You'll have to stay consistent with your variable names.

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/5130/scan0060kd.jpg

that is how it looks

Last edited by a moderator:

fifaking7 said:
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/5130/scan0060kd.jpg

that is how it looks
You're right. I misread the problem.

When you said x=3, that should be h=3 .

In general, how are b and h related, considering that they're legs of a right triangle?

Last edited by a moderator:
i said b= 4ft and h=3 ft

fifaking7 said:
i said b= 4ft and h=3 ft
That's what b & h are at the instant that h = 4 ft, but how are they related in general?

(Use the Pythagorean theorem.)

fifaking7 said:
i said b= 4ft and h=3 ft

The crucial point that you seem to be missing is that you need to figure out what is happening as the board slides down the wall, so h moves from more than 3 ft to less than 3 ft (and, at the same time, b moves from less than 4 ft to more than 4 ft). When that is happening, the area of the triangle is changing, and that is what you are supposed to be reckoning. So, you need to let b and h be variables, not fixed numbers.

RGV

SammyS said:
That's what b & h are at the instant that h = 4 ft, but how are they related in general?

(Use the Pythagorean theorem.)
Of course, that's a typo !

It should have said:
That's what b & h are at the instant that b = 4 ft, but how are they related in general?

1. What is the rate of change of the area of a region?

The rate of change of the area of a region is a measure of how quickly the area of the region is changing with respect to time. It can also be thought of as the slope of the line representing the change in area over a certain period of time.

2. How is the rate of change of the area of a region calculated?

The rate of change of the area of a region can be calculated by finding the derivative of the function that represents the area of the region with respect to time. This can be done using calculus or by using the slope formula for two points on the area function graph.

3. What factors can affect the rate of change of the area of a region?

The rate of change of the area of a region can be affected by various factors such as the shape and size of the region, the rate of growth or decay of the region, and any external forces or influences that may be acting on the region.

4. How is the rate of change of the area of a region used in real life?

The rate of change of the area of a region is used in many real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. It can help us understand and predict changes in population, growth of crops, and the effects of natural disasters, among other things.

5. What is the relationship between the rate of change of the area of a region and its perimeter?

The rate of change of the area of a region is directly proportional to its perimeter. This means that as the perimeter increases or decreases, the rate of change of the area will also increase or decrease accordingly. This relationship can also be seen in the formula for the area of a circle, where the area is directly proportional to the square of the radius (which is related to the perimeter).